south-of-the-border steak salad with creamy taco dressing
- 1 pound beef Ranch Steaks or Top Sirloin Steaks boneless, cut 3/4 inch thick
- 1/2 cup prepared reduced-fat ranch dressing
- 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons taco seasoning mix, divided
- 2 teaspoons packed brown sugar
- 1 package (8 to 10 ounces) mixed salad greens
- 1/2 cup sweetened dried cranberries or cherries
- 1/4 cup crumbled queso fresco cheese or shredded Co-Jack or Cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup pepitas or sunflower seeds, toasted
Combine 1 tablespoon taco seasoning and brown sugar. Press evenly onto beef steaks. Place steaks in center of grid over medium, ash-covered coals. Grill steaks, covered, 8 to 11 minutes (over medium heat on preheated gas grill, times remain the same) for medium rare (145°F) to medium (160°F) doneness.
Meanwhile, combine remaining taco seasoning and ranch dressing in medium bowl, mixing until well blended. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
Carve steaks into slices. Season with salt, as desired. Arrange salad greens on serving platter. Top with cranberries, cheese, pepitas and steak slices. Serve with dressing.
Nutrition information per serving: 346 calories; 15 g fat (4 g saturated fat; 3 g monounsaturated fat); 69 mg cholesterol; 556 mg sodium; 24 g carbohydrate; 2.1 g fiber; 26 g protein; 3.3 mg niacin; 0.3 mg vitamin B6; 2.7 mcg vitamin B12; 3.8 mg iron; 25.8 mcg selenium; 6.2 mg zinc.
This recipe is an excellent source of protein, vitamin B12, iron, selenium and zinc; and a good source of niacin and vitamin B6.