beer-braised spicy beef tacos
This recipe is a winner for Taco Tuesday or Game Day anywhere. Beer and chipotle peppers add delicious flavors to this lean beef roast.
- 1 boneless beef shoulder center roast (2 lbs)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 bottle (12 ounce) beer
- 2 medium chipotle pepperns in adobo sauce, minced
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon adobo sauce from chipotle peppers, divided
- 12 small corn or flour tortillas
- 2 cups coleslaw
- chopped red onion
- chopped fresh cilantro
- crumbled queso fresco or sour cream
- Heat oil in stockpot over medium heat until hot. Place beef pot roast in stockpot; brown evenly. Pour off drippings; season with salt and pepper, as desired.
- Add beer, peppers and 2 tablespoons adobo sauce to stockpot; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover tightly and simmer 2-1/4 to 2-1/2 hours or until pot roast is fork-tender.
- Meanwhile, combine coleslaw and remaining 1 teaspoon adobo sauce. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Remove pot roast; cool slightly. Skim fat from cooking liquid; bring to boil. Reduce to medium and cook 10 to 12 minutes or until reduced to 1-1/2 cups. Meanwhile, trim and discard excess fat from cooked pot roast. Shred pot roast with 2 forks. Return beef to reserved liquid; cook over medium heat until heated through.
- Serve beef in tortillas; top with coleslaw mixture and toppings, as desired.
Nutrition information per serving: 413 calories; 16 g fat (3 g saturated fat; 4 g monounsaturated fat); 57 mg cholesterol; 500 mg sodium; 37 g carbohydrate; 4.3 g fiber; 27 g protein; 8.2 mg niacin; 0.4 mg vitamin B6; 2.6 mcg vitamin B12; 3.7 mg iron; 25.5 mcg selenium; 5.9 mg zinc; 86.9 mg choline.
This recipe is an excellent source of protein, niacin, vitamin B6, vitamin B12, iron, selenium and zinc; and a good source of fiber and choline.