tapas-style pepper steak parfaits
- 2 beef shoulder center steaks (Ranch Steaks), cut 1 inch thick (about 8 ounces each)
- 2 medium red bell peppers, cut in half lengthwise
- 6 slices (1/4 inch thick) baguette bread, cut diagonally about 5 inches long
- 1 clove garlic
- salt & pepper to taste
- 2 cups loosely packed baby spinach leaves
- 1/4 cup chopped Spanish olives
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh cliantro
- 2 tablespoons sahved machego cheese
- cilantro sprigs (optional)
- MARINADE & DRESSING
- 1/2 cup reduced fat prepared oilve oil vinaigrette
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped cilantro
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
Combine marinade and dressing ingredients in small bowl. Place beef steaks and 1/4 cup marinade in food-safe plastic bag; turn steaks to coat. Close bag securely and marinate in refrigerator 15 minutes to 2 hours, turning occasionally. Cover and refrigerate remaining marinade for dressing.
Remove steaks from marinade; discard marinade. Place steaks and bell peppers on grid over medium, ash-covered coals. Grill steaks, covered, 8 to 11 minutes (over medium heat on preheated gas grill, cooking times remain the same) for medium rare (145°F) to medium (160°F) doneness, turning occasionally. Grill peppers, covered, 7 to 10 minutes or until tender, turning occasionally. A few minutes before steaks are done, place bread slices on grid. Grill until lightly toasted, turning once. Cut 1 end off garlic clove; rub cut end evenly over both sides of toasted bread.
Carve steak into thin slices; season with salt and black pepper, as desired. Dice bell peppers. Place 1 bread slice upright in each of 6 (1-cup) martini glasses or straight-sided glasses. Layer with equal amounts of spinach, peppers, steak, olives, chopped cilantro and reserved dressing. Top with cheese shavings. Garnish with cilantro sprigs, if desired.
Nutrition information per serving: 184 calories; 8 g fat (2 g saturated fat; 2 g monounsaturated fat); 46 mg cholesterol; 413 mg sodium; 1 g carbohydrate; 1.5 g fiber; 17 g protein; 3.4 mg niacin; 0.5 mg vitamin B6; 2.8 mcg vitamin B12; 2.5 mg iron; 23.8 mcg selenium; 4.2 mg zinc.
This recipe is an excellent source of protein, vitamin B6, vitamin B12, selenium and zinc; and a good source of niacin and iron.