mediterranean steak salad
- 12 ounces grilled beef steak, cut into slices
- 3 medium oranges
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 12 fresh figs, stems removed, cut into quarters
- 6 cups fresh baby spinach
- 1/2 cup drained canned chickpeas
- 1/2 cus thinly sliced red onion
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped pistachio nuts
- 1/2 cup crumbled Gorgonzola cheese or other blue cheese
- Grate peel and squeeze juice from 1 orange. Whisk 1/4 cup of orange juice, 1 tablespoon orange peel and oil in small bowl. Set aside. Peel and cut segments from remaining 2 oranges. Set aside.
- Assemble salad by layering spinach, beans, onion, figs, orange segments and steak slices. Top with nuts and cheese. Drizzle with orange dressing.
Nutrition information per serving, using top sirloin steak: 509 calories; 24 g fat (7 g saturated fat; 11 g monounsaturated fat); 62 mg cholesterol; 334 mg sodium; 42 g carbohydrate; 8.0 g fiber; 35 g protein; 8.4 mg niacin; 1.0 mg vitamin B6; 1.5 mcg vitamin B12; 3.4 mg iron; 32.4 mcg selenium; 5.5 mg zinc.
This recipe is an excellent source of fiber, protein, niacin, vitamin B6, vitamin B12, selenium and zinc; and a good source of iron.