mediterranean steak salad
- 12 ounces grilled beef steak, cut into slices
- 3 medium oranges
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 12 fresh figs, stems removed, cut into quarters
- 6 cups fresh baby spinach
- 1/2 cup drained canned chickpeas
- 1/2 cus thinly sliced red onion
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped pistachio nuts
- 1/2 cup crumbled Gorgonzola cheese or other blue cheese
Grate peel and squeeze juice from 1 orange. Whisk 1/4 cup of orange juice, 1 tablespoon orange peel and oil in small bowl. Set aside. Peel and cut segments from remaining 2 oranges. Set aside.
Assemble salad by layering spinach, beans, onion, figs, orange segments and steak slices. Top with nuts and cheese. Drizzle with orange dressing.
Nutrition information per serving, using top sirloin steak: 509 calories; 24 g fat (7 g saturated fat; 11 g monounsaturated fat); 62 mg cholesterol; 334 mg sodium; 42 g carbohydrate; 8.0 g fiber; 35 g protein; 8.4 mg niacin; 1.0 mg vitamin B6; 1.5 mcg vitamin B12; 3.4 mg iron; 32.4 mcg selenium; 5.5 mg zinc.
This recipe is an excellent source of fiber, protein, niacin, vitamin B6, vitamin B12, selenium and zinc; and a good source of iron.