corned beef slow-cooked in beer with red currant-mustard sauce
Let your slow cooker do all the work for this complete meal of beer-braised Corned Beef with fresh cabbage and red potatoes. It's a great dish for your next celebration.
- 1 Corned Beef Brisket Boneless with seasoning packet (2 1/2 to 3 pounds)
- 3 ribs celery, cut into 3-inch
- 2 medium onions, cut into quarters
- 2 1/2 cups water, divided
- 1 bottle (12 ounce) beer
- 1 pound green cabbage, cut into thin wedges
- 1 pound red-skinned potatoes, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 6 to 8 baby carrots, trimmed or 4 medium carrots, cut crosswise into 1-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- chopped fresh parsley (optional)
- RED CURRANT MUSTARD SAUCE
- 1 jar (12 oz.) red currant jelly
- 3 tablespoons country Dijon-style mustard
- Place celery and onions in 4-1/2- to 5-1/2-quart slow cooker; top with corned beef brisket. Sprinkle contents of seasoning packet over brisket. Add 2 cups water and beer. Cover and cook on HIGH 6 to 7 hours or on LOW 9 to 10 hours or until brisket is fork-tender. (No stirring is necessary during cooking.)
Cook's Tip: To cook on range-top, place corned beef in stockpot; sprinkle with contents of seasoning packet. Add celery, onions, 2 cups water and beer. Bring just to a simmer; do not boil. Cover tightly; simmer 2-1/2 to 3 hours or until brisket is fork-tender. Prepare vegetables and sauce as directed.
- Meanwhile, place cabbage, potatoes and carrots in 2-1/2 quart microwave-safe dish; add remaining 1/2 cup water. Cover; microwave on HIGH 15 to 18 minutes or until vegetables are tender, stirring or rearranging once. Drain; remove and discard cores from cabbage wedges. Add butter; season with salt and pepper, as desired. Toss to coat; keep warm.
- Prepare Red Currant-Mustard Sauce. Place jelly in medium microwave-safe bowl. Cover; microwave on HIGH 1-1/2 to 2 minutes or until melted, stirring once. Whisk in mustard. Cover; microwave on HIGH 30 seconds. Stir; keep warm.
- Remove brisket and carve diagonally across the grain into thin slices. Serve with vegetables and sauce. Garnish with parsley, if desired.
ALTERNATE COOKING METHOD:
This recipe can be made in a 6-quart electric pressure cooker. Place Corned Beef Brisket, celery, onions and 1/2 cup beer in pressure cooker. Close and lock pressure cooker lid. Use meat or high-pressure setting on pressure cooker; program 70 minutes on pressure cooker timer. Use quick-release feature to release pressure; carefully remove lid. Continue as directed in step 2. (This recipe variation was tested in an electric pressure cooker at high altitude. Cooking at an altitude of less than 3000 feet may require slightly less cooking time. Refer to the manufacturer’s instructions.)
Nutrition information per serving, 1/6 of recipe: 574 calories; 24 g fat (9 g saturated fat; 11 g monounsaturated fat); 114 mg cholesterol; 1462 mg sodium; 63 g carbohydrate; 4.5 g fiber; 23 g protein; 4.5 mg niacin; 0.5 mg vitamin B6; 1.8 mcg vitamin B12; 3.1 mg iron; 35.9 mcg selenium; 5.2 mg zinc; 95.8 mg choline.
This recipe is an excellent source of protein, niacin, vitamin B6, vitamin B12, selenium and zinc; and a good source of fiber, iron and choline.
Nutrition information per serving, 1/8 of recipe: 431 calories; 18 g fat (7 g saturated fat; 8 g monounsaturated fat); 86 mg cholesterol; 1097 mg sodium; 47 g carbohydrate; 3.4 g fiber; 17 g protein; 3.4 mg niacin; 0.3 mg vitamin B6; 1.3 mcg vitamin B12; 2.3 mg iron; 26.9 mcg selenium; 3.9 mg zinc; 71.9 mg choline.
This recipe is an excellent source of protein, vitamin B12, selenium and zinc; and a good source of fiber, niacin, vitamin B6, iron and choline.