beef papusas and curtido slaw
A fresh and fruity marinade gives Flank Steak flavorful tenderness before it's sliced to serve atop papusas with crunchy slaw.
- 1 1/2 pound beef Flank Steak
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 3/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh mango
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh pineapple
- 1/3 cup fresh lime juice
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoon anchiote paste
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- SLAW INGREDIENTS
- 1 package (16 ounces) coleslaw mix (about 7-1/2 cups)
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 cup chopped fresh mangoes
- 1 1/2 cup chopped fresh pineapple
- 2 cups instant corn Masa
- 1 1/2 cups warm water, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- Place Marinade ingredients in food processor or blender container. Cover; process until almost smooth. Cover and refrigerate 3/4 cup for dressing; cover and refrigerate. Place beef steak and remaining marinade in food-safe plastic bag; turn steak to coat. Close bag securely and marinate in refrigerator 6 hours or as long as overnight, turning occasionally.
- Combine Slaw ingredients and reserved 3/4 cup marinade in large bowl; toss to coat. Season with salt, as desired. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Prepare Pupusas. Combine corn masa, 1-1/4 cups water, salt and pepper in large bowl until soft dough forms. Gradually add more water, if necessary. Divide dough into 6 equal balls. Make indentation in center of each ball; fill with about 2-1/2 tablespoons cheese. Push dough up and around cheese to completely enclose. Flatten balls with hands or rolling pin into 5-1/2 to 6-inch discs, making sure dough stays sealed. Cover with damp paper towels until ready to cook. Spray large skillet or griddle with nonstick cooking spray; heat over medium-high heat until hot. Place pupusas in skillet in batches; cook 2 to 4 minutes or until lightly browned, turning once. Keep warm.
- Meanwhile, remove steak from marinade; discard marinade. Place steak on rack of broiler pan so surface of beef is 2 to 3 inches from heat. Broil 13 to 18 minutes for medium rare (145°F) to medium (160°F) doneness, turning once. Remove; let stand 5 to 10 minutes. Carve steak across the grain into thin slices. Season with salt, as desired.
- Place 1 pupusa on each serving plate. Top with slaw and beef. Garnish with cilantro, if desired.
Nutrition information per serving: 543 calories; 23 g fat (8 g saturated fat; 11 g monounsaturated fat); 58 mg cholesterol; 446 mg sodium; 53 g carbohydrate; 8 g fiber; 34 g protein; 11.3 mg niacin; 0.9 mg vitamin B6; 1.5 mcg vitamin B12; 5.1 mg iron; 36.3 mcg selenium; 5.9 mg zinc.
This recipe is an excellent source of fiber, protein, niacin, vitamin B6, vitamin B12, iron, selenium and zinc.