wasabi-beer braised brisket
Enjoy the heat of wasabi with the complex flavors of beer in this beer-braised brisket, thinly sliced and served on a wheat baguette.
- 1 beef Brisket Flat Half (4 to 4 1/2 pounds)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon peanut or vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 medium onions, each cut into 12 wedges
- 1 bottle (12 ounces) beer
- 1 bottle (12 ounces) chili sauce
- 2 teaspoons wasabi paste
- 3 whole wheat baguettes, cut into 10 to 12 pieces (4 1/2 to 5 iches each), split
- 1/2 cup rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons peanut or vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger
- 2 teaspoons hone
- 1 package (16 ounces) coleslaw mix
- 1 package (8 ounces) shredded red cabbage
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Press garlic evenly onto all surfaces of beef brisket. Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat until hot. Place brisket in skillet; brown evenly. Remove brisket from skillet; season with salt and pepper.
- Add onions to large stockpot or large baking pan. Place brisket over onions. Stir in beer and chili sauce; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover tightly. Continue cooking in 325°F oven 3-1/2 to 4 hours or until beef is fork-tender.
- Meanwhile, prepare coleslaw.
- Remove brisket; keep warm. Skim fat from cooking liquid; bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, 5 minutes. Stir in wasabi paste.
- Carve brisket diagonally across the grain into thin slices. Return beef to cooking liquid; keep warm. Divide beef and onions evenly over roll bottoms; close sandwiches. Serve remaining sauce for dipping, if desired. Serve with coleslaw.
Coleslaw: Combine ½ cup rice vinegar, 2 tablespoons peanut or vegetable oil, 2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil, 2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger and 2 teaspoons honey in large bowl. Add 1 package (16 ounces) coleslaw mix and 1 package (8 ounces) shredded red cabbage; toss to coat. Season with salt, if desired.
Nutrition information per serving: 519 Calories; 16g Total Fat; 4g Saturated Fat; 7g Monounsaturated Fat; 59mg Cholesterol; 1005mg Sodium; 51g Total carbohydrate; 41g Protein; 4.9mg Iron; 7.7mg Niacin; 0.6mg Vitamin B6; 160.1mg Choline; 2.5mcg Vitamin B12; 9.6mg Zinc; 67.5mcg Selenium; 6.9g Fiber;