tunisian steak lettuce wraps
Not sure what to have for dinner tonight? Start your meal with these delicious Tunisian lettuce wraps filled with thinly sliced steak, a savory date spread and a fresh carrot and cucumber slaw.
- 1 beef Top Round Steak, cut 3/4 inch thick (about 1 pound)
- 8 large lettuce leaves (such as leaf, Bibb or iceberg)
- finely chopped fresh mint leaves
- DATE MARINADE & SPREAD
- 2/3 cup pitted dates
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup julienne-cut carrots
- 1/2 cup julienne-cut hothouse cucumbers
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Place Date Marinade and Spread ingredients in food processor container. Cover; process until smooth. Cover and refrigerate 1/2 cup for spread. Place beef steak and remaining marinade in food-safe plastic bag; turn steak to coat. Close bag securely and marinate in refrigerator 6 hours or as long as overnight, turning occasionally.
- Combine Slaw ingredients in medium bowl; mix well. Set aside.
- Remove steak from marinade; discard marinade. Place steak on grid over medium, ash-covered coals. Grill, covered, 10 to 11 minutes (over medium heat for preheated gas grill, times remain the same) for medium rare (145°F) doneness, turning occasionally. (Do not overcook.)
- Carve steak into thin slices. Spread 1 tablespoon reserved Date Spread on each lettuce leaf. Top evenly with steak slices and slaw. Sprinkle with mint, as desired. Roll up.
Nutrition information per serving: 364 calories; 15 g fat (3 g saturated fat; 1 g monounsaturated fat); 61 mg cholesterol; 413 mg sodium; 32 g carbohydrate; 3.1 g fiber; 29 g protein; 5.3 mg niacin; 0.5 mg vitamin B6; 1.5 mcg vitamin B12; 3 mg iron; 31.6 mcg selenium; 4.9 mg zinc.
This recipe is an excellent source of protein, niacin, vitamin B6, vitamin B12, selenium and zinc; and a good source of fiber and iron.