tomatillo salsa beef mini sandwiches
Pot Roast gets slow-cooked with onion and chunky tomatillo salsa for fork-tender goodness. Make the dish handheld with soft rolls and a slice of cheese!
- 1 boneless beef Chuck Shoulder Pot Roast (2-1/2 to 3 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 cup prepared thick-and-chunky tomatillo salsa
- 12 to 16 mini sandwich rolls (2 to 3 inches long), split
- 8 slices pepper Jack or cheddar cheese, cut in half
- Heat oil in stockpot over medium heat until hot. Place beef Chuck Shoulder Pot Roast in stockpot; brown evenly. Remove pot roast from stockpot. Pour off all but 1 teaspoon drippings.
- Add onion to stockpot; cook and stir 3 to 5 minutes or until crisp-tender. Return roast to stockpot. Stir in salsa; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover tightly and simmer 2 to 3 hours or until roast is fork-tender.
- Remove roast; keep warm. Skim fat from cooking liquid; keep warm. Carve roast into thin slices; stir into cooking liquid. Season with salt and pepper, as desired.
- Warm rolls, if desired. Layer cheese and beef mixture evenly onto bottoms of rolls. Close sandwiches. Serve with additional cooking liquid.
Nutrition information per serving: 728 Calories; 342 Calories from fat; 38g Total Fat (15 g Saturated Fat; 11 g Monounsaturated Fat;) 141 mg Cholesterol; 971 mg Sodium; 49 g Total Carbohydrate; 2.7 g Dietary Fiber; 48 g Protein; 5.1 mg Iron; 7.4 mg Niacin; 0.4 mg Vitamin B6; 2.3 mcg Vitamin B12; 7.9 mg Zinc; 56.8 mcg Selenium.
This recipe is an excellent source of Protein, Iron, Niacin, Vitamin B6, Vitamin B12, Zinc, and Selenium; and a good source of Dietary Fiber.