stir-fried beef gyros in pita pockets
Steak is stir-fried with onions and served with a yogurt sauce and vegetables in a pita.
- 1 pound beef Round Tip Steaks, cut 1/8 to 1/4 inch thick
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3 teaspoon olive oil, divided
- 1 medium onion, halved, thinly sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 4 pita breads, cut in half, warmed
- 2 small tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 1/2 small cucumber, cut into 1/8-inch half moons
- 1/2 cup prepared cucumber ranch dressing
- Stack beef steaks; cut lengthwise in half, then crosswise into 1-inch wide strips. Toss with garlic and oregano.
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Add onion; stir-fry 3 to 4 minutes. Remove.
- Heat 1 teaspoon oil in same skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Add 1/2 of beef; stir-fry 1 minute or until outside surface of beef is no longer pink. (Do not overcook.) Remove. Repeat with remaining beef.
- Return beef and onion to skillet; heat through. Season with salt and pepper. Serve in pita pockets with tomatoes and dressing.
Nutrition information per serving: 503 calories; 24 g fat (4 g saturated fat; 5 g monounsaturated fat); 75 mg cholesterol; 721 mg sodium; 4 g carbohydrate; 2.2 g fiber; 29 g protein; 7.2 mg niacin; 0.4 mg vitamin B6; 1.3 mcg vitamin B12; 3.9 mg iron; 43.2 mcg selenium; 4.6 mg zinc.
This recipe is an excellent source of protein, niacin, vitamin B6, vitamin B12, iron, selenium and zinc.