spicy braised brisket sandwiches
- 1 beef Brisket Flat Half (2 1/2 to 3 1/2 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 cup (12 ounces) beer
- 2 cans (4 ounces each) chopped green chiles, undrained
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 1 to 1 1/2 teaspoons crushed red pepper
- 6 to 8 Italian or cibatta rolls, split
- Giardinera (optional)
- Sliced provolone or jalapeno pepper cheese (optional)
- ROASTED REDPEPPER MAYONNAISE
- 1/2 cup jarred chopped roasted red pepper
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- Heat oil in stockpot over medium heat until hot. Place beef brisket in stockpot; brown evenly. Remove brisket; season with salt and black pepper.
- Add onion and garlic to stockpot; cook and stir 3 to 5 minutes or until onion is crisp-tender. Return brisket, fat side up, to stockpot. Add beer, chiles, broth and red pepper as desired; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover tightly and simmer 2-3/4 to 3-1/4 hours or until brisket is fork-tender.
- Remove brisket. Skim fat from cooking liquid; keep cooking liquid warm. Trim fat from brisket. Cut into 4 to 6 pieces; shred with 2 forks. Stir shredded beef into reserved liquid.
- Serve beef mixture in rolls topped with giardiniera, cheese and mayonnaise, if desired.
Roasted Red Pepper Mayonnaise: Place 1/2 cup jarred chopped roasted red pepper, 1/2 cup mayonnaise and 1 clove chopped garlic in food processor container. Cover; process until smooth. Yield: about 2/3 cup.
Test Kitchen Tips
Brisket may be prepared a day ahead and refrigerated. To reheat, heat in stockpot over medium-high heat 9 to 14 minutes or until 165°F, stirring occasionally.
Nutrition information per serving (1/6 of recipe): 375 calories; 10 g fat (3 g saturated fat; 4 g monounsaturated fat); 62 mg cholesterol; 687 mg sodium; 26 g carbohydrate; 2.7 g fiber; 40 g protein; 7.1 mg niacin; 0.4 mg vitamin B6; 2.6 mcg vitamin B12; 4.2 mg iron; 36.8 mcg selenium; 8.6 mg zinc.
This recipe is an excellent source of protein, niacin, vitamin B6, vitamin B12, iron, selenium and zinc; and a good source of fiber.
Nutrition information per serving (1/8 of recipe): 306 calories; 8 g fat (2 g saturated fat; 3 g monounsaturated fat); 46 mg cholesterol; 571 mg sodium; 25 g carbohydrate; 2.3 g fiber; 31 g protein; 5.7 mg niacin; 0.3 mg vitamin B6; 1.9 mcg vitamin B12; 3.4 mg iron; 27.6 mcg selenium; 6.4 mg zinc.
This recipe is an excellent source of protein, niacin, vitamin B12, selenium and zinc; and a good source of vitamin B6 and iron.