speedy fiesta steak and rice
Have a flavorful meal in just 30 minutes. Use Skirt Steak and Tex-Mex flavors for a weeknight fiesta.
- 1 beef skirt steak (about 1-1/2 pounds), cut into 4 portions
- 1 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes with green chilies, divided
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 package (1 ouce) 30% less sodium taco seasoning mix
- 1 package (6 oz) rice pilaf mix
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Combine 1/2 cup diced tomatoes and juice, lime juice and taco seasoning in small bowl. Place beef steak and tomato mixture in food-safe plastic bag; turn steak to coat. Close bag securely and marinate in refrigerator 6 hours or as long as overnight, turning occasionally.
- Prepare rice pilaf mix according to package directions, using water and 1 tablespoon olive oil. Drain liquid from remaining diced tomatoes; discard liquid. Add tomatoes and cilantro to cooked rice. Keep warm and set aside.
- Meanwhile, remove steak from marinade; discard marinade. Place steak on grid over medium, ash-covered coals. Grill, covered, 7 to 12 minutes (over medium heat on preheated gas grill, 8 to 12 minutes) for medium rare (145°F) to medium (160°F) doneness, turning occasionally.
- Carve steak diagonally across grain into thin slices. Serve over rice mixture.
Nutrition information per serving: 478 calories; 19 g fat (8 g saturated fat; 9 g monounsaturated fat); 116 mg cholesterol; 983 mg sodium; 39 g carbohydrate; 1.5 g fiber; 35 g protein; 5.5 mg niacin; 0.6 mg vitamin B6; 5.5 mcg vitamin B12; 3.9 mg iron; 23.9 mcg selenium; 7.3 mg zinc; 117.8 mg choline.
This recipe is an excellent source of protein, niacin, vitamin B6, vitamin B12, iron, selenium, zinc and choline.