simple beef and brew chili
- 1 pound ground beef (96% lean)
- 1 medium green or red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 can (15 ounces) reduced-sodium or regular black beans, rinsed, drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounce) diced tomatoes with green chilies
- 1 bottle (12 ounces) light beer or 1-1/2 cups reduced sodium beef broth
- 1 packet (1-1/4 ounces) reduced sodium or regular chili seasoning mix
- sliced cherry tomatoes
- sliced green onions
- sliced Serrano or jalapeno peppers
- chopped onions
- lime wedges
- tortilla chips
1. Heat large nonstick skillet over medium heat until hot. Add Ground Beef and bell pepper; cook 8 to 10 minutes, breaking beef into 3/4-inch crumbles and stirring occasionally.
2. Stir in beans, tomatoes, beer and chili seasoning. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 20 minutes to blend flavors, stirring occasionally. Serve with toppings, as desired.
Cook's Tip: Cooking times are for fresh or thoroughly thawed Ground Beef. Ground Beef should be cooked to an internal temperature of 160ºF. Color is not a reliable indicator of Ground Beef doneness.
Nutrition information per serving: 253 calories; 5 g fat (2 g saturated fat; 0 g monounsaturated fat); 65 mg cholesterol; 717 mg sodium; 22 g carbohydrate; 5.8 g fiber; 28 g protein; 5.7 mg niacin; 0.4 mg vitamin B6; 2.1 mcg vitamin B12; 4.4 mg iron; 17.9 mcg selenium; 5.3 mg zinc; 89.5 mg choline.
This recipe is an excellent source of fiber, protein, niacin, vitamin B6, vitamin B12, iron, selenium and zinc; and a good source of choline.