pomegranite braised beef brisket with caramelized onions
Rich caramelized onions, tangy pomegranate molasses, and hearty beef Brisket make for a crowd pleasing meal.
- 1 beef Briskrt Flat Half (2 1/2 to 3 1/2 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 onions, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup prmegranate molasses
- 1/3 cup barbecue sauce
- 1/3 cup reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Pomegranate arils (optional)
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions and cook 20 to 30 minutes until caramelized, stirring often. Lower heat if necessary. Meanwhile, combine molasses, barbecue sauce, broth and mustard in small bowl. Add molasses mixture to skillet after onions are caramelized; stirring to combine.
Cook's Tip: Pomegranate molasses can be made by combining 4 cups pomegranate juice, 2/3 cup sugar and 1/3 cup fresh lime juice in medium saucepan. Simmer on medium heat until mixture reduces to 1 to 1-1/4 cups, stirring often. Pomegranate molasses can be made ahead of time and stored in an airtight container for up to 1 month.
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Coat shallow roasting pan with nonstick cooking spray. Season both sides of brisket with salt and pepper. Place brisket into prepared pan, fat-side up. Top brisket with onion mixture. Cover tightly with aluminum foil. Braise in 325°F oven 2-1/2 to 3 hours or until brisket is fork-tender.
- Remove brisket from roasting pan; keep warm. Trim fat; carve diagonally across the grain into thin slices. Season with salt and pepper, as desired. Serve with caramelized onions mixture. Garnish with pomegranate arils.
Nutrition information per serving: 317 Calories; 76.5 Calories from fat; 8.5g Total Fat (2.6 g Saturated Fat; 0 g Trans Fat; 0.5 g Polyunsaturated Fat; 4.3 g Monounsaturated Fat;) 96.5 mg Cholesterol; 638 mg Sodium; 23 g Total Carbohydrate; 2.1 g Dietary Fiber; 35 g Protein; 3.8 mg Iron; 464 mg Potassium; 5.1 mg Niacin; 0.5 mg Vitamin B6; 2.4 mcg Vitamin B12; 8.2 mg Zinc; 35.4 mcg Selenium; 134.3 mg Choline.
This recipe is an excellent source of Protein, Iron, Niacin, Vitamin B6, Vitamin B12, Zinc, Selenium, and Choline; and a good source of Potassium.