pepper steak w/mango, avocado & jalapeno vinaigrette
- 2 boneless beef top sirloin steak, cut 3/4 inch thick (about 8 oz each)
- 3 jalapeno peppers
- 2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 8 cups mixed salad greens
- 1 mango, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1/2 small avocado, cut lengthwise into 8 slices
- Salt to taste
- 1 shallot, very thinly sliced and separated into rings
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon coarsly chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/4 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Place jalapeño peppers on grid over medium, ash-covered goals. Grill, uncovered, 11 to 13 minutes or until evenly blistered and blackened. Place in food-safe plastic bag; close bag. Let stand 10 to 15 minutes until skins are loosened.
- Press black pepper evenly onto beef steaks. Place steaks on grid over medium, ash-covered coals. Grill, covered, 7 to 10 minutes (over medium heat on preheated gas grill, times remain the same) for medium rare (145°F) to medium (160°F) doneness, turning occasionally. Remove from grill; let stand while preparing vinaigrette.
- Meanwhile, prepare Jalapeño Vinaigrette. Remove and discard skins, seeds and membranes from jalapeño peppers. Place peppers, lime juice, cilantro, water and salt in food processor container. Cover; pulse on and off until combined. With motor running, slowly add oil through opening in cover, processing until well blended.
- Arrange salad greens on serving platter. Fan the mango and avocado slices over greens. Carve steaks into slices; season with salt, as desired. Arrange over salad. Top with shallot; drizzle with vinaigrette. Sprinkle with cheese.
Nutrition information per serving: 369 calories; 21 g fat (5 g saturated fat; 12 g monounsaturated fat); 60 mg cholesterol; 272 mg sodium; 19 g carbohydrate; 5.1 g fiber; 30 g protein; 8.4 mg niacin; 0.8 mg vitamin B6; 1.4 mcg vitamin B12; 3.5 mg iron; 29.5 mcg selenium; 5.3 mg zinc.
This recipe is an excellent source of fiber, protein, niacin, vitamin B6, vitamin B12, iron, selenium and zinc.