mediterranean eye round steak
- 2 beef Eye of Round Steaks, cut 1 inch thick (about 8 oz each)
- 1 jar (6 oz) marinated quartered artichoke hearts
- 1/4 cup chopped roasted red pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- 3 tablespoons Dijon-style mustard
- salt & pepper to taste
1. Drain artichokes, reserving liquid. Chop artichokes and combine with roasted red pepper and basil in small bowl; cover and refrigerate.
2. Combine reserved artichoke liquid and Dijon mustard in small bowl. Place beef steaks and mustard mixture in food-safe plastic bag; turn steaks to coat. Close bag securely and marinate in refrigerator 6 hours or as long as overnight.
3. Remove steaks from marinade; discard marinade. Place steaks on grid over medium, ash-covered coals. Grill, covered, 13 to 15 minutes (over medium heat on preheated gas grill, 17 to 19 minutes) for medium rare (145°F) doneness, turning occasionally. (Do not overcook.)
4. Carve steaks into thin slices. Season with salt and pepper, as desired. Serve with artichoke mixture.
Cook's Tip: One teaspoon dried basil leaves can be substituted for fresh.
Nutrition information per serving (1/2 of recipe): 432 calories; 14 g fat (3 g saturated fat; 4 g monounsaturated fat); 119 mg cholesterol; 984 mg sodium; 19 g carbohydrate; 3.1 g fiber; 55 g protein; 9.8 mg niacin; 0.7 mg vitamin B6; 3 mcg vitamin B12; 4.7 mg iron; 57.3 mcg selenium; 8.8 mg zinc.
This recipe is an excellent source of protein, niacin, vitamin B6, vitamin B12, iron, selenium and zinc; and a good source of fiber.