mediterranean beef pitas with yogurt-cucumber sauce
Use Top Round Steak with Greek yogurt, cucumbers and tomatoes to make a soon-to-be family favorite Mediterranean style dish.
- 1 1/2 pounds Top Round Steak, cut 1 inch thick
- 1 1/2 cups nonfat plain Greek or regular yogurt
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 medium cucumber
- Salt & Pepper
- 6 white or whole wheat pita breads
- 3/4 cup plain or seasoned hummus
- 10 cherry tomatoes, quartered or 1 cup grape tomatoes, halved
- 1/3 cup halved Kalamata olives
- 3 tablespoons crumbled feta cheese
- Combine yogurt, lemon juice and garlic in medium bowl. Place beef steak and 3/4 cup yogurt mixture in food-safe plastic bag; turn steak to coat. Close bag securely and marinate in refrigerator 6 hours or as long as overnight.
- Meanwhile, cut cucumber in half lengthwise; cut one half crosswise into 1/4-inch slices and reserve. Chop remaining cucumber half into 1/4-inch pieces. Add chopped cucumber to remaining yogurt mixture; season with salt, as desired. Cover and refrigerate.
- Remove steaks from marinade; discard marinade. Place steak on rack of broiler pan so surface of beef is 2 to 3 inches from heat. Broil 13 to 18 minutes for medium rare (145°F) doneness, turning once. (Do not overcook.) Carve steak into thin slices. Season with salt and pepper, as desired.
- Spread pitas with hummus. Evenly top with sliced cucumbers, tomatoes and steak slices. Sprinkle with olives and feta cheese. Serve with reserved yogurt mixture.
Nutrition information per serving: 428 Calories; 10g Total Fat; 3g Saturated Fat; 4g Monounsaturated Fat; 76mg Cholesterol; 592mg Sodium; 42g Total carbohydrate; 40g Protein; 4.9mg Iron; 12.3mg Niacin; 0.5mg Vitamin B6; 114.8mg Choline; 1.6mcg Vitamin B12; 6mg Zinc; 48.9mcg Selenium; 4g Fiber.