lickety-split sweet-sour beef
- 1 pound beef Top Round Steak, cut 1 inch thick
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1 can (20 ounces) canned pineapple chunks in juice
- 1 cup salsa
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 2 red or green bell peppers, cut into strips
- 1/4 cup lightly tosted sliced almonds
- Prepare quinoa according to package directions; keep warm.
- Meanwhile, drain pineapple chunks; reserve juice. Combine juice, salsa and soy sauce in small bowl. Add cornstarch, mixing until smooth; set aside.
- Cut beef steak lengthwise in half, then crosswise into 1/4-inch thick strips.
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in large nonstick skillet or wok over medium-high heat until hot. Add half of beef; stir-fry 1 to 2 minutes or until outside surface of beef is no longer pink. Remove from skillet. Repeat with 2 teaspoons oil and remaining beef. Remove beef; keep warm.
- Heat remaining 2 teaspoons oil in same skillet over medium heat until hot. Add peppers and pineapple; cook and stir 1 to 2 minutes or until peppers are crisp-tender. Add beef to skillet. Stir salsa mixture; add to skillet. Cook and stir 2 to 3 minutes or until sauce is thickened. Serve over quinoa; top with almonds.
Nutrition information per serving: 366 calories; 12 g fat (2 g saturated fat; 6 g monounsaturated fat); 48 mg cholesterol; 585 mg sodium; 42 g carbohydrate; 4.8 g fiber; 25 g protein; 4.6 mg niacin; 0.6 mg vitamin B6; 1.0 mcg vitamin B12; 3.7 mg iron; 24.0 mcg selenium; 103.4 mg zinc.
This recipe is an excellent source of fiber, protein, niacin, vitamin B6, iron, selenium and zinc; and a good source of vitamin B12.