kalbizzim (korean style braised short rib)
This recipe is courtsey of US Meat Export Federation
- 2 pounds cubed US bone-in-short rib
- 2 green onions
- 5 whole peppers
- Salt to taste
- 10 chestnuts
- 15 dried jujubes
- 15 ginkgo nuts
- 3 tablespoons pine nuts
- 1 egg
- RIB BASE SEASONING
- 1/2 cup freshly ground pear juice
- 3 tablespoons sake
- RIB SEASONING
- 6 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons minced green onion
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon ground sesame mixed with salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- Cut rib into 3 cm squares, remove fat and make cuts in the rib.
- Blanch ribs in boiling water with green onion, whole pepper and salt, then drain.
- Marinate rib in pear juice and sake for about 30 minutes.
- Put all seasoning ingredients in with rib and mix well. Leave about 30 minutes.
- Peel the chestnut and wash and dry jujubes. Roast gingko in a pan to remove the inner skin. Remove the eyes of the pine nuts.
- Beat the egg in a bowl. Heat a pan and add some oil. Pour the egg and spread quickly and make a very thin omelet. Cut it into 1 cm size diamond shapes.
- Boil rib in a pot, cover and cook with medium heat.
- When rib is cooked thoroughly baste the rib and add chestnuts, gingko, and pine nuts. Boil some more.
- Garnish with diamond-shaped egg.