hawaiian beef fajita bowl
Looking for a flavorful lunch on the go? Try this steak and brown rice bowl with peppers and pineapple salsa. Top it off with coconut flakes for a complete island experience.
- 1 beef Flank Steak (about 1-1/2 pounds)
- 6 tablespoons reduced-sodium teriyaki sauce, divided
- 5-1/2 tablespoons pineapple juice, divided
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh grated ginger
- 3 bell peppers, seeded, cut into quarters
- 2 onions, cut into 1/2-inch thick slices
- PINEAPPLE SALSA
- 1 recipe Pineapple Salsa
- BROWN RICE
- 3 cups hot cooked brown rice
- 6 tablespoons unsweetened coconut flakes
- Combine 4 tablespoons teriyaki sauce, 4 tablespoons pineapple juice and ginger in small bowl; mix well. Place beef steak and teriyaki mixture in food-safe plastic bag; turn to coat. Close bag securely and marinate in refrigerator 6 hours or as long as overnight.
- Remove steak from marinade; discard marinade. Spray onion slices and bell pepper lightly with cooking spray. Place steak in center of grid over medium, ash-covered coals; arrange bell peppers and onion slices around steak. Grill steak, bell peppers and onion slices, covered, 11 to 16 minutes (over medium heat on preheated gas grill, 16 to 21 minutes) for medium rare (145°F) to medium (160°F) doneness and bell peppers and onion slices are tender, turning occasionally. Keep warm.
Cook's Tip: Remove skins from peppers after grilling, if desired.
Prepare Pineapple Salsa.
- Combine 3/4 cup canned pineapple chucks or tidbits, drained, 1/2 cup diced sweet onion, 1/4 cup diced red or green bell pepper, 3 tablespoons minced jalapeño pepper, 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro, 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar and 1/2 teaspoon salt in small bowl. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Divide rice evenly among 6 bowls. Combine remaining 2 tablespoons teriyaki sauce and remaining 1-1/2 tablespoons pineapple juice in medium bowl; mix well. Carve steak across the grain into thin slices; toss steak with teriyaki mixture. Arrange steak on rice; top with Pineapple Salsa and grilled vegetables. Garnish with coconut flakes, if desired.
Cook's Tip: For Hawaiian Beef Fajita Wraps, divide all ingredients evenly amongst 6 flour tortillas and roll up.
Nutrition information per serving: 341 Calories; 63 Calories from fat; 7g Total Fat (3 g Saturated Fat; 3 g Monounsaturated Fat;) 66 mg Cholesterol; 587 mg Sodium; 40 g Total Carbohydrate; 4.1 g Dietary Fiber; 28 g Protein; 2.6 mg Iron; 8.3 mg NE Niacin; 0.8 mg Vitamin B6; 1.4 mcg Vitamin B12; 5.1 mg Zinc; 27.5 mcg Selenium; 99.5 mg Choline.
This recipe is an excellent source of Protein, Niacin, Vitamin B6, Vitamin B12, Zinc, and Selenium; and a good source of Dietary Fiber, Iron, and Choline.