grilled steak and watermelon salad
Watermelon and steak are grilled and served with a bright and colorful salad. This recipe is perfect for summertime.
- 4 beef Tenderloin Steaks, cut 1 inch thick (about 4 to 5 oz each)
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 slices seedless baby watermelon, 1 inch thick (about 1 pound each)
- salt & pepper to taste
- 8 cups baby arugula or spinach leaves
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat balsamic or Italian dressing
- 1 cup halved cherry tomoatoes
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1/4 cup crumbled reduced-fat Feta cheese
- Combine coriander and cumin; press evenly onto beef steaks.
- Place steaks in center of grid over medium, ash-covered coals; arrange watermelon slices around steak. Grill steaks, covered, 11 to 15 minutes (over medium heat on preheated gas grill, 13 to 16 minutes) for medium rare (145°F) to medium (160°F) doneness, turning occasionally. Grill watermelon 2 to 4 minutes or until grill marks form, turning once.
- Carve steaks into slices. Cut each watermelon slice into 6 wedges. Season beef and watermelon with salt and pepper, as desired. Combine arugula and dressing in large bowl; toss to coat. Divide arugula among four serving plates. Arrange beef and watermelon on salad; top evenly with tomatoes, onion and cheese.
Cook's Tip: One pound beef top Sirloin Steak, cut 1 inch thick, may be substituted for Tenderloin Steaks. For charcoal, grill, covered, 10 to 14 minutes (for gas, grill, covered, 13 to 16 minutes) for medium rare to medium doneness, turning occasionally.
Nutrition information per serving: 285 calories; 9 g fat (3 g saturated fat; 3 g monounsaturated fat); 71 mg cholesterol; 341 mg sodium; 26 g carbohydrate; 4.1 g fiber; 29 g protein; 7.8 mg niacin; 0.7 mg vitamin B6; 1.4 mcg vitamin B12; 3.9 mg iron; 29.0 mcg selenium; 4.7 mg zinc; 103.4 mg choline.
This recipe is an excellent source of protein, niacin, vitamin B6, vitamin B12, iron, selenium and zinc; and a good source of fiber and choline.