grilled-adobo beef steak tacos with creamy chipotle salsa and tequila pickled red onions
Prepare your Pickled Red Onions at least a day before your plan to prepare this recipe.
- 1 beef Flat Iron Steaks (about 8 ounces each)
- PICKLED RED ONIONS:
- 1 1/2 tablespoons black peppercorns
- 4 fresh thyme sprigs
- 1 1/2 cups thinly sliced red onions
- 1/2 cup tequila
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 slices yellow onion, 1/2 inch thick
- 1 cup fresh cilantro sprigs (about 1/2 bunch)
- 1 can (7 ounces) chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 teaspoon coarse grind black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 8 small corn tortillas, warmed
- TOPPINGS (Optional):
- 1/4 cup crumbled Cotija cheese
- 1/4 cup crumbled queso fresco cheese
- 1 large avocdo, cut into 8 slices
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 lime, cut into 8 wedges
PICKLED RED ONIONS:
- To prepare Pickled Red Onions, add peppercorns and thyme to 1-pint Mason jar; top with red onions. Combine tequila, honey and vinegar in small saucepan; bring to a boil over medium heat. Stir in salt until dissolved. Carefully pour hot tequila mixture over onions, making sure to cover onions completely. Close jar; let stand for 1 hour or until mixture reaches room temperature. Shake jar to dissolve salt. Refrigerate at least 24 hours before using.
- To prepare Salsa, place yellow onion slices on grid over medium, ash-covered coals. Grill onion, covered, 12 to 14 minutes (over medium heat on preheated gas grill, covered, 12 to 14 minutes), turning occasionally. Roughly chop grilled onion; set aside to cool.
Combine grilled onion, cilantro, chipotle peppers, garlic, black pepper and 1/2 teaspoon salt in blender container. Cover; pulse on and off until pureed. With blender running, slowly add oil to blender through opening in cover, processing until smooth. Reserve 1 cup salsa; cover and refrigerate.
Place beef steaks and remaining salsa in food-safe plastic bag; turn steak to coat. Close bag securely and marinate in refrigerator 30 minutes.
- Remove steaks from marinade; discard marinade. Pat steaks dry with paper towel; season with salt, if desired.
Grill, covered, 10 to 14 minutes (over medium heat on preheated gas grill, covered, 12 to 16 minutes) for medium rare (145°F) to medium (160°F) doneness, turning occasionally. Keep warm.
- Place Cotija cheese and queso fresco in food processor container. Pulse on and off until cheese resembles coarse breadcrumbs. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Carve steaks lengthwise into 1 inch strips, then across the grain into 1/2-inch pieces. Divide beef among tortillas; top with reserved 1 cup salsa, pickled onions, cheese, avocado, cilantro and lime wedges, as desired.
Test Kitchen Tips
Use the internet to easily locate ethnic or hard-to-find foods when specialty markets are not nearby; many ingredients are available via mail order.
Nutrition information per serving: 672 calories; 34 g fat (7 g saturated fat; 20 g monounsaturated fat); 71 mg cholesterol; 1225 mg sodium; 51 g carbohydrate; 5.1 g fiber; 25 g protein; 4.2 mg niacin; 0.5 mg vitamin B6; 5.0 mcg vitamin B12; 4.6 mg iron; 32.8 mcg selenium; 8.4 mg zinc; 95.3 mg choline.
This recipe is an excellent source of fiber, protein, niacin, vitamin B6, vitamin B12, iron, selenium and zinc; and a good source of choline.