green peppercorn crusted strip roast with red wine sauce
This Strip Roast recipe just screams "Holiday Dinner". With red wine sauce and green peppercorns, even the ingredients are festive.
- 1 beef Strip Roast (3 to 4 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon green peppercorns
- 2 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon lemon peel
- WINE SAUCE
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 ounces cremini or button mushrooms, sliced
- 1/4 cup finely chopped shallots
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 cup Cabernet Sauvignon
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
- kosher salt
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Combine Seasoning ingredients; press evenly onto all surfaces of beef Strip Roast.
- Place roast on rack in shallow roasting pan. Insert ovenproof meat thermometer so tip is centered in thickest part of beef, not resting in fat. Do not add water or cover. Roast in 325°F oven 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 hours for medium rare; 1-1/2 to 1-3/4 hours for medium doneness.
- Meanwhile prepare Wine Sauce. Heat olive oil in large nonstick skillet over medium heat until hot. Add mushrooms and shallots; cook and stir 6 to 9 minutes or until mushrooms are tender and browned. Remove from skillet; keep warm. Add 3/4 cup broth and wine to skillet; cook and stir over medium heat 12 to 16 minutes or until reduced to 1 cup. Combine remaining 1/4 cup broth and cornstarch in small bowl. Whisk cornstarch mixture and pepper into wine mixture; bring to a boil. Cook 1 minute or until sauce thickens, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat; add thyme and mushroom mixture. Season with salt, as desired.
- Remove roast when meat thermometer registers 135°F for medium rare; 145°F for medium. Transfer roast to carving board; tent loosely with aluminum foil. Let stand 10 to 15 minutes. (Temperature will continue to rise about 10°-15°F to reach 145°F for medium rare; 160°F for medium.)
- Carve roast into slices; season with salt, as desired. Serve with Wine Sauce.
Nutrition information per serving, 3oz: 156 Calories; 61.2 Calories from fat; 6.8g Total Fat (2.3 g Saturated Fat; 0.26 g Trans Fat; 0.5 g Polyunsaturated Fat; 3.5 g Monounsaturated Fat;) 54 mg Cholesterol; 345 mg Sodium; 2 g Total Carbohydrate; 0.3 g Dietary Fiber; 0.3 g Total Sugars; 18 g Protein; 0 g Added Sugars; 14.5 mg Calcium; 2.2 mg Iron; 283 mg Potassium; 0.1 mcg Vitamin D; 0.3 mg Riboflavin; 7.3 mg NE Niacin; 0.5 mg Vitamin B6; 2.6 mcg Vitamin B12; 177 mg Phosphorus; 2.8 mg Zinc; 18.1 mcg Selenium; 46.8 mg Choline.
This recipe is an excellent source of Protein, Riboflavin, Niacin, Vitamin B6, Vitamin B12, Zinc, and Selenium; and a good source of Iron, and Phosphorus.