easy mexican beef cornbread muffins
These Mexican-inspired beef sausage cornbread muffins make a great appetizer or brunch option.
- Mexican-Style Beef Sausage (recipe follows)
- 1 package (8 1/2 ounces) cornbread muffin mix
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup low-fat or skim milk
- 1/2 cup shredded Mexican cheese blend
- Prepare Mexican-Style Beef Sausage. Remove from pan.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Prepare muffin batter according to package directions with egg and milk. Fold beef crumbles into muffin batter.
- Spray 24 mini-muffin cups with nonstick cooking spray.
- Divide muffin batter evenly among 24 mini muffin cups, filling cup to top. Top batter evenly with cheese. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until muffins are cooked through and cheese is melted and golden brown.
Mexican-Style Beef Sausage: Combine 1 pound ground beef, 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar, 2 to 3 teaspoons chipotle chili powder, 1-1/2 teaspoons dried oregano leaves, 1-1/2 teaspoons smoked paprika, 1 teaspoon garlic powder, and 1/2 teaspoon salt in large bowl, mixing lightly but thoroughly. Heat large nonstick skillet over medium heat until hot. Add beef mixture; cook 8 to 10 minutes, breaking into 1/2 inch crumbles and stirring occasionally.
Test Kitchen Tips: Cooking times are for fresh or thoroughly thawed Ground Beef. Ground Beef should be cooked to an internal temperature of 160°F. Color is not a reliable indicator of Ground Beef doneness.
Nutrition information per serving: 254 calories; 10 g fat (4 g saturated fat; 4 g monounsaturated fat); 73 mg cholesterol; 490 mg sodium; 22 g carbohydrate; 2.2 g fiber; 18 g protein; 4.2 mg niacin; 0.3 mg vitamin B6; 1.6 mcg vitamin B12; 2.5 mg iron; 15.5 mcg selenium; 3.7 mg zinc; 23.6 mg choline.
This recipe is an excellent source of protein, niacin, vitamin B12, selenium, and zinc as well as a good source of vitamin B6 and iron.