classic reuben sandwiches
Try this deli classic for lunch or dinner today. Thinly sliced deli Corned Beef or Pastrami is sandwiched between rye bread with sauerkraut and a tangy home-made dressing.
- 12 ounces thinly sliced deli corned beef
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 8 slices rye, swirl rye or pumpernickel bread
- 8 slices reduced fat or regular Swiss cheese
- 1 1/2 cup sauerkraut, well drained
- 1/4 cup reduced fat or regular Thousand Island dressing
- Lightly spread butter on one side of each bread slice.
- Heat large nonstick skillet over medium heat until hot. Place 2 bread slices, butter side down, in skillet. Top each bread slice with 2 slices cheese, 1 tablespoon dressing, 3 ounces corned beef and 1/4 of the sauerkraut. Top with 2 bread slices butter side up.
- Cook sandwiches 4 to 6 minutes or until bread is golden brown and cheese is melted, turning once. Repeat with remaining sandwiches. Serve with additional Thousand Island dressing, if desired.
Nutrition information per serving: 455 calories; 19 g fat (1 g saturated fat; 2 g monounsaturated fat); 83 mg cholesterol; 1363 mg sodium; 38 g carbohydrate; 4.5 g fiber; 35 g protein; 2.4 mg niacin; 0.1 mg vitamin B6; 4.2 mg iron; 19.9 mcg selenium; 0.7 mg zinc.
This recipe is an excellent source of protein, iron and selenium; and a good source of fiber and niacin.