caribbean jerk tri-tip over basil lime salad
While a Tri-Tip is grilling, prepare a salad of lettuce, cucumber, red pepper, onion, basil and mint. The flavor combination will wisk you away to the islands.
- 1 beef Tri-Tip Roast (2 pounds)
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 6 green onions, white and green parts cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons ground allspice
- 2 tablespoons Asian hot chili sauce or Sriracha sauce
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher or table salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon gound cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons light mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
- 2 teaspoons Asian hot chili sauce or Sriracha sauce
- 2 teaspoons anchovy paste (optional)
- 1 package (10 ounces) romaine lettuce
- 1 medium cucumber, cut lengthwise in half, seeded, then cut crosswise into 1/4 inch thich slices
- 2 medium red bell peppers, cut into 1/4 inch strips
- 1 medium red onion, cut into thin wedges
- 1 cup loosley packed fresh basil chopped
- 1/2 cup loosley packed fresh mint, chopped
- 1/8 teaspoon koster or table salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
To prepare marinade, place green onions in food processor container. Cover; process 10 seconds or until chopped. Add remaining marinade ingredients. Cover; process 30 seconds or until smooth. Place beef roast and marinade in food-safe plastic bag; turn roast to coat. Close bag securely and marinate in refrigerator 30 minutes or as long as 2 hours.
Meanwhile prepare dressing. Place mayonnaise in small bowl; gradually whisk in remaining dressing ingredients until blended. Cover and refrigerate.
Combine salad ingredients in large bowl. Cover and refrigerate.
Remove roast from marinade; discard marinade. Place roast on grid over medium, ash-covered coals. Grill, covered, 25 to 35 minutes for medium rare to medium doneness, turning occasionally. Remove roast when instant-read thermometer, inserted into center of thickest part registers 140°F for medium rare; 155°F for medium. Let stand 10 minutes. (Temperature will continue to rise about 5°F to reach 145°F for medium rare; 160°F for medium.)
Add dressing to salad; toss lightly. Carve roast across the grain into thin slices. Serve with salad.
Recipe as seen in The Healthy Beef Cookbook, published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt
Nutrition information per serving: 267 calories; 9 g fat (3 g saturated fat; 4 g monounsaturated fat); 60 mg cholesterol; 505 mg sodium; 24 g carbohydrate; 3.6 g fiber; 25 g protein; 7.1 mg niacin; 0.7 mg vitamin B6; 1.3 mcg vitamin B12; 3.7 mg iron; 26.8 mcg selenium; 4.6 mg zinc.
This recipe is an excellent source of protein, niacin, vitamin B6, vitamin B12, iron, selenium and zinc; and a good source of fiber.