caprese steak starter
- 2 pounds beef Top Sirloin Boneles, cut 1 inch thick
- 1/2 cups reduced-fat or regular balsamic vinaigrette, divided
- 1 pint grape tomatoes
- 1 container (7.5 ounces) fresh mozzarella cheese balls, drained
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- salt & pepper to taste
- Cut beef steak into 1-inch pieces. Place beef and 1/4 cup vinaigrette in food-safe plastic bag; turn to coat. Close bag securely. Combine remaining 1/4 cup dressing, tomatoes and mozzarella in medium bowl, stirring to coat; cover. Refrigerate beef and vegetables 15 minutes to 2 hours.
- Soak four 10-inch bamboo skewers in water 10 minutes; drain. Remove beef from vinaigrette; discard marinade. Thread beef evenly onto skewers, leaving small space between pieces. Place skewers on grid over medium, ash-covered coals. Grill, covered, 5 to 7 minutes (over medium heat on preheated gas grill, 7 to 9 minutes) for medium rare (145°F) to medium (160°F) doneness, turning occasionally.
- Remove beef from skewers; add to bowl with tomato and mozzarella. Stir in basil; mixing to coat beef with vinaigrette. Season with salt and pepper, as desired. Evenly divide beef mixture among small serving plates.
Test Kitchen Tips: To broil, place skewers on rack in broiler pan so surface of beef is 3 to 4 inches from heat. Broil 7 to 11 minutes for medium rare to medium doneness, turning once.
Nutrition information per serving: 167 calories; 9 g fat (5 g saturated fat; 1 g monounsaturated fat); 57 mg cholesterol; 182 mg sodium; 4 g carbohydrate; 0.5 g fiber; 18 g protein; 5.4 mg niacin; 0.3 mg vitamin B6; 0.7 mcg vitamin B12; 1.0 mg iron; 15.2 mcg selenium; 2.5 mg zinc; 52.1 mg choline.
This recipe is an excellent source of protein, niacin and selenium; and a good source of vitamin B6, vitamin B12 and zinc.