cajun beef southwestern salad
- 3 boneless beef top loin (strip) steaks, cut 3/4 inch thick (about 8 oz each)
- 1 tablespoon Cajun seasoning
- 12 fresh figs, stems removed, cut into quarters
- ORANGE DRESSING
- 3 blood oranges
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoon Cajun seasoning
- 9 cups fresh baby spinach
- 1 can (14 1/2 oz) garbanzo beans, rinsed, drained
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped pistachio nuts
- 1/2 cup crumbled Gorgonzola or other blue cheese
Preheat oven to 350°F. Press 1 tablespoon Cajun seasoning evenly onto beef steaks. Cover and refrigerate.
Place figs, cut side up, on rimmed metal baking sheet. Bake in 350°F oven 25 to 35 minutes or until very soft and starting to caramelize. Set aside.
Meanwhile grate peel and squeeze juice from 1 orange. Combine 1/4 cup orange juice, orange peel, oil and 1-1/2 teaspoons Cajun seasoning in small bowl. Set aside. Peel and cut segments from remaining 2 oranges. Set aside.
Place steaks on grid over medium, ash-covered coals. Grill, covered, 7 to 10 minutes (over medium heat on preheated gas grill, times reamin the same) for medium rare (145°F) to medium (160°F) doneness, turning occasionally.
Carve steaks into slices. Assemble salad by layering spinach, beans, onion, figs, orange segments and steak slices. Top with nuts and cheese. Drizzle with orange dressing.
Nutrition information per serving: 567 calories; 19 g fat (5 g saturated fat; 8 g monounsaturated fat); 62 mg cholesterol; 601 mg sodium; 64 g carbohydrate; 11.2 g fiber; 39 g protein; 7.6 mg niacin; 0.8 mg vitamin B6; 1.4 mcg vitamin B12; 5.8 mg iron; 29.7 mcg selenium; 4.9 mg zinc.
This recipe is an excellent source of fiber, protein, niacin, vitamin B6, vitamin B12, iron, selenium and zinc.