beef kabobs with griled pineapple salsa marinade
- 1 1/2 pounds beef shoulder center (Ranch) steaks, cut 1 inch thick
- salt & pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium jalapeno pepper, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- PINEAPPLE SALSA
- 1/2 medium pineapple, peeled, cored, cut into 1-1/2 inch chunks (about 3 cups)
- 1 medium red onion, cut into 12 wedges
- 1 large red or green bell pepper, cut into 1-1/2 inch pieces
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated lime zest
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
Cut beef steaks into 1-1/4-inch pieces. Combine marinade ingredients in medium bowl. Remove and reserve 2 tablespoons for salsa. Add beef to remaining marinade; toss to coat. Cover and marinate in refrigerator 30 minutes to 2 hours.
Remove beef from marinade; discard marinade. Thread beef pieces onto six 10-inch metal skewers, leaving small space between pieces. Alternately thread fruit and vegetable pieces evenly onto six 10-inch metal skewers.
Place fruit and vegetable kabobs on grid over medium, ash-covered coals. Grill, covered, 12 to 15 minutes or until vegetables are tender, turning occasionally. Remove; keep warm. Place beef kabobs in center of grid. Grill, covered, 5 to 7 minutes (over medium heat on preheated gas grill, 7 to 9 minutes) for medium rare (145°F) to medium (160°F) doneness, turning occasionally.
Remove fruit and vegetables from skewers; coarsely chop. Combine with reserved marinade, lime peel and 1/2 teaspoon salt in medium bowl. Season beef with salt and pepper, as desired. Serve with Pineapple Salsa.
Nutrition information per serving: 207 calories; 8 g fat (2 g saturated fat; 5 g monounsaturated fat); 57 mg cholesterol; 259 mg sodium; 9 g carbohydrate; 1.5 g fiber; 24 g protein; 3.4 mg niacin; 0.4 mg vitamin B6; 2.6 mcg vitamin B12; 3.1 mg iron; 25.8 mcg selenium; 5.6 mg zinc.
This recipe is an excellent source of protein, vitamin B6, vitamin B12, selenium and zinc; and a good source of niacin and iron.