beef bulgogi lettuce wraps
Korean barbecue sauce lends sweet and savory elements to the beef in these easy lettuce wraps.
- 2 beef Flat Iron Steaks (about 8 ounces each)
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons red or brown miso paste, divided
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger, divided
- 1 teaspoon ground Korean-style red pepper, divided
- 1 1/2 cups diced apple or Asian pear
- 3/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 2/3 cup diced onion
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
- 12 large green or red butter or Bibb lettuce leaves
- TOPPINGS (Optional)
- Shredded carrots, shredded cabbage, shredded cucumber
- chopped peantus, microgreens, pickled corn, pickled onion,
- chopped kimchi
- Combine 1/4 cup cider vinegar, 1 tablespoon miso paste, 1 teaspoon garlic, 1 teaspoon ginger and 1/2 teaspoon pepper in small bowl. Place beef steaks and marinade in food-safe plastic bag; turn steaks to coat. Close bag securely and marinate in refrigerator 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, to prepare bulgogi sauce, heat large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Add apple, brown sugar, onion, remaining 1/4 cup cider vinegar, remaining 2 tablespoons miso paste, remaining 1 teaspoon garlic, remaining 1 teaspoon ginger, remaining 1/2 teaspoon pepper and sesame oil; bring to a boil. Cook 8 to 12 minutes or until sauce thickens, stirring occasionally. Season with salt, as desired. Set aside.
- Remove steaks from marinade; discard marinade. Place steaks on grid over medium, ash-covered coals. Grill, covered, 10 to 14 minutes (over medium heat on preheated gas grill, 12 to 16 minutes) for medium rare (145°F) to medium (160°F) doneness, turning occasionally.
- Carve steaks into slices. Divide steak slices evenly among 12 lettuce leaves. Top steak with Bulgogi Sauce, carrots, cabbage, cucumber, peanuts, microgreens, pickled vegetables and kimchi, if desired.
Nutrition information per serving: 406 Calories; 12g Total Fat; 4g Saturated Fat; 5g Monounsaturated Fat; 71mg Cholesterol; 624mg Sodium; 53g Total carbohydrate; 24g Protein; 3mg Iron; 3.5mg Niacin; 0.4mg Vitamin B6; 96.8mg Choline; 5mcg Vitamin B12; 7.8mg Zinc; 32.7mcg Selenium; 2.3g Fiber.