bbq beef biscuit sliders
- 1 1/2 pound beef Tri-Tip Roast
- 1 cup hickory-flavored barbecue sauce, divided
- 1 tablespoon chilpotle peppers in adobo sauce, seeded and minced
- 18 baked low-fat buttermilk biscuits (about 2 and 2-1/2 inch diameter), split
- 3/4 cup crushed corn tortilla chips or homemade tortilla strips
- 1 1/2 cups coleslaw mix
- 1 red pepper, seeds and stem removed, cut into small dice
- 1/2 cup green onions, cut in thin, 1-inch strips
- 1/3 cup coleslaw dressing
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- Salt & Pepper to taste
Combine barbecue sauce and chipotle peppers; reserve 3/4 cup sauce mixture. Brush some of remaining sauce mixture onto all sides of roast.
Place roast on grid over medium, ash-covered coals or over medium heat on preheated gas grill. Grill; covered 25 to 35 minutes for medium rare (145°F) to medium (160°F) doneness, basting roast with remaining sauce while grilling and turning occasionally.
To prepare Slaw, combine coleslaw mix, bell pepper, green onions, dressing and cilantro in medium bowl; toss to combine. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Remove roast when instant-read thermometer registers 135°F for medium rare; 150°F for medium. Transfer roast to carving board; tent loosely with aluminum foil. Let stand 15 minutes. (Temperature will continue to rise about 10°F to reach 145°F for medium rare; 160°F for medium.)
Carve roast across the grain into thin slices. Toss with reserved 3/4 cup sauce mixture.
Evenly divide beef slices, coleslaw and tortillas among biscuits. Close sandwiches.
Test Kitchen Tips: To prepare roast in the oven, preheat oven to 425°F. Brush sauce mixture onto all sides of roast. Place on rack in shallow roasting pan. Do not add water or cover. Roast in 425°F oven 30 to 40 minutes for medium rare; 40 to 45 minutes for medium doneness. Baste roast with remaining sauce 10 minutes before finished roasting. Remove roast from oven and let stand as directed in step 4.