zesty meatball sandwiches
Zesty Italian-style meatballs are tossed with pepper and onions in a tomato sauce and served in a hoagie roll. This sandwich is perfect for game day or dinner any night of the week.
- 1 pound Ground Beef (93% lean or leaner)
- 1/2 cup soft bread crumbs
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 onion, cut into thin strips
- 1/2 green bell pepper, cut into thin strips
- 1 1/4 cup prepared spaghetti sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 4 hoagie rolls, split
- 1/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Combine Ground Beef, bread crumbs, egg, minced onion, garlic, salt and pepper in large bowl, mixing lightly but thoroughly. Shape into twelve 2-inch meatballs. Place on rack in broiler pan. Bake in 350°F oven 25 to 30 minutes.
- Heat 2 tablespoons water in large nonstick skillet over medium heat until hot. Add onion strips and bell pepper; cook and stir 4 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Add spaghetti sauce, basil and meatballs; heat through, stirring occasionally. Serve in rolls; sprinkle with cheese.>
Cook's Tip: Cooking times are for fresh or thoroughly thawed ground beef. Ground beef should be cooked to an internal temperature of 160°F. Color is not a reliable indicator of ground beef doneness.
Nutrition information per serving: 486 Calories; 18g Total Fat; 6.4g Saturated Fat; 4g Polyunsaturated Fat; 5.7g Monounsaturated Fat; 0.1g Trans Fat; 137mg Cholesterol; 1066mg Sodium; 732mg Potassium; 47g Total carbohydrate; 31g Protein; 6.5mg Iron; 13.7mg Niacin; 0.6mg Vitamin B6; 146mg Choline; 3mcg Vitamin B12; 7.1mg Zinc; 29.3mcg Selenium; 0.8g Fiber.