tomato chili jam
A little heat with a little sweet. This sauce is perfect for your burger in place of ketchup.
- 1 onion, cut into 1/2 inch slices
- 6 red chili peppers
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomoatoes
- 1 lime
- 1/4 cup fish sauce (nam pla)
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup rice vinegar
- Spray onion slices lightly with cooking spray. Place onion slices and chili peppers in center of grid over medium, ash-covered coals. Grill peppers and onion slices, covered, 11 to 15 minutes (over medium heat on preheated gas grill, 13 to 16 minutes) or until onion is tender and pepper skins are charred, turning occasionally. Place peppers in food-safe plastic bag; close bag. Let stand 15 minutes. Remove and discard skins, stems and seeds from peppers; cut into 1/2-inch slices.
- Drain liquid from tomatoes into food processor or blender container; reserving tomatoes. Add onion, peppers, fish sauce, ginger, garlic and tomato paste to food processor. Pulse on and off until well blended.
- Grate peel of lime; juice lime. Pour chili pepper mixture into medium saucepan; add reserved tomatoes, sugar, vinegar, lime peel and lime juice. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer 1 hour or until thick and syrupy, stirring occasionally. Spoon off and discard any foam. Remove saucepan from heat; cool.
Cook's Tip: The natural pectin in tomatoes gives this sauce its thick, jam-like consistency.
Nutrition information per serving: 552 Calories; 0g Total Fat; 0g Saturated Fat; 0g Monounsaturated Fat; 0mg Cholesterol; 6.3mg Sodium; 12g Total carbohydrate; 2g Protein; 0.6mg Iron; 0.6mg Niacin; 0.2mg Vitamin B6; 6.6mg Choline; 0mcg Vitamin B12; 0.2mg Zinc; 0.6mcg Selenium; 1g Fiber.