three-way crumbled beef sandwiches
Hungry for a Coney Island dog, Philly Steak or Italian hoagie? Start with this seasoned Ground Beef “base,” then add toppings or mix-ins to satisfy your current craving.
- 1 pound Ground Beef
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 soft hoagie rolls (6 to 7 inches long each)
- ketchup, yellow mustard, diced onion, chopped tomatoes, shredded lettuce (optional)
- Heat large nonstick skillet over medium heat until hot. Add Ground Beef, onion and garlic; cook 8 to 10 minutes, breaking into small crumbles and stirring occasionally. Remove drippings; season with salt and pepper.
Cook's Tip: Cooking times are for fresh or thoroughly thawed Ground Beef. Ground Beef should be cooked to an internal temperature of 160ºF. Color is not a reliable indicator of Ground Beef doneness.
- Split rolls, cutting almost, but not all the way through. Evenly fill rolls with beef mixture. Top with condiments, as desired or prepare using recipe variations below.
Coney Island Variation: Prepare recipe as directed through Step 2. Top beef mixture with heated chili or chili beans, chopped onions, shredded Cheddar cheese and yellow mustard, as desired.
Philly Steak Variation: Prepare recipe as directed above, adding thinly sliced mushrooms with ingredients in Step 1. Remove skillet from heat. Top beef mixture with process cheese dip or sliced Provolone cheese. Cover; let stand 3 to 5 minutes or until cheese is melted. Continue as directed in Step 2.
Italian Variation: Prepare recipe as directed in Step 1. Remove skillet from heat. Sprinkle beef mixture evenly with shredded mozzarella cheese. Cover; turn off the heat and let stand 2 to 3 minutes or until cheese is melted. Continue as directed in step 2. Top with heated marinara sauce and chopped giardiniera.
Nutrition information per serving: 442 Calories; 20g Total Fat; 7g Saturated Fat; 7g Monounsaturated Fat; 76mg Cholesterol; 689mg Sodium; 35g Total carbohydrate; 30g Protein; 3.9mg Iron; 7mg Niacin; 0.4mg Vitamin B6; 75.6mg Choline; 2.4mcg Vitamin B12; 5.5mg Zinc; 18.8mcg Selenium; 2.4g Fiber.