three mustard beef round-tip with roasted baby carrots & brussels sprouts
Dijon, mustard seeds and dry mustard unite for big taste when paired with beef roast and vegetables.
- 1 boneless beef round sirloin top roast (3 pounds)
- 3 tablespoons Dijon-style mustard
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon course grind black pepper
- 2 tablespoons dry bread crumbs
- 1 pound small Brussels sprouts, trimmed
- 2 pounds packaged baby carrots
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoon fresh thyme, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon course ground black pepper
- MUSTARD SAUCE
- 2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 2 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat dairy sour cream
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse grind black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup minced shallots
- 1/2 cup Dijon-style mustard
- Heat oven to 325°F. Combine 3 tablespoons Dijon-style mustard, 1 tablespoon thyme and 1/2 teaspoon pepper in small bowl. Spread mustard mixture evenly over all surfaces of beef roast. Press bread crumbs evenly onto roast over mustard.
- Place roast on rack in shallow roasting pan. Insert ovenproof meat thermometer so tip is centered in thickest part of beef, not resting in fat. Do not add water or cover. Roast in 325°F oven 1-3/4 to 2 hours for medium rare; 2-1/4 to 2-1/2 hours for medium doneness.
- Meanwhile prepare vegetables. Cut shallow “X” into bottom of each Brussels sprout. Toss Brussels sprouts, carrots, oil, thyme, salt and pepper in large bowl. Transfer to metal baking sheet. Cover tightly with aluminum foil. Roast in 325°F oven 1 to 1-1/4 hours or until crisp-tender. Uncover baking sheet; continue roasting 5 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Remove roast when meat thermometer registers 140°F for medium rare; 155°F for medium. Transfer roast to carving board; tent loosely with aluminum foil. Let stand, covered, 20 minutes. (Temperature will continue to rise about 5°F to reach 145°F for medium rare; 160°F for medium.)
- Meanwhile prepare Mustard Sauce. Heat oil in small saucepan over medium heat until hot. Add shallots; cook and stir 3 to 5 minutes or until tender. Add Dijon-style mustard, mustard seeds and dry mustard; cook and stir 30 seconds. Remove from heat; stir in lemon juice until well blended. Add sour cream, parsley and pepper; stir until smooth. Keep warm.
- Carve roast into thin slices. Serve with vegetables and Mustard Sauce.
Recipe as seen in The Healthy Beef Cookbook, published by Houghton Millin Harcourt
Nutrition information per serving: 265 calories; 11 g fat (3 g saturated fat; 5 g monounsaturated fat); 74 mg cholesterol; 68 mg sodium; 14 g carbohydrate; 3.2 g fiber; 28 g protein; 4.3 mg niacin; 0.5 mg vitamin B6; 2.5 mcg vitamin B12; 4.4 mg iron; 25.1 mcg selenium; 6.6 mg zinc.