sweet & sloppy joes
- 1 pound Ground Beef (93% lean or leaner)
- 1 cup diced bell peppers (red, green yellow or orange)
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup dark or golden raisins
- 2 teaspoon ancho chile powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 4 whole wheat hamburger buns
- Optional: Chopped mango, chopped jalapeño, chopped tomato, chopped fresh cilantro, sliced green onion, shredded reduced-fat Cheddar cheese
1. Chopped mango, chopped jalapeño, chopped tomato, chopped fresh cilantro, sliced green onion, shredded reduced-fat Cheddar cheese
2. Heat large nonstick skillet over medium heat until hot. Add Ground Beef, bell pepper and onion; cook 8 to 10 minutes, breaking beef into 3/4-inch crumbles and stirring occasionally. Remove drippings.
3. Stir in tomato sauce, water, raisins, ancho chili powder and oregano; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 15 to 18 minutes or until sauce thickens slightly, stirring occasionally.
4. Evenly divide beef mixture on bottom half of each bun. Garnish with toppings, as desired; close sandwiches.
Test Kitchen Tips: Cooking times are for fresh or thoroughly thawed Ground Beef. Ground Beef should be cooked to an internal temperature of 160ºF. Color is not a reliable indicator of Ground Beef doneness.
Nutrition information per serving: 566 calories; 12 g fat (4 g saturated fat; 4 g monounsaturated fat); 76 mg cholesterol; 728 mg sodium; 82 g carbohydrate; 10.3 g fiber; 34 g protein; 12.1 mg niacin; 0.7 mg vitamin B6; 2.3 mcg vitamin B12; 6.7 mg iron; 60.7 mcg selenium; 7.9 mg zinc; 110.4 mg choline.
This recipe is an excellent source of fiber, protein, niacin, vitamin B6, vitamin B12, iron, selenium, zinc and choline.