sweet and spicy petite sirloin steak with vegetable barley risotto
A delicious side dish to pair with your favorite steak or roast! This "risotto" features zucchini, shallots and tomatoes in a tender barley mixture.
- 1 beef Top Sirloin Steak Boneless, cut 3/4 inch thick (about 1 pound)
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons jalapeño pepper jelly
- 1 recipe Vegetable Barley Risotto
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 3/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse grind black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- VEGETABLE BARLEY RISOTTO
- 3/4 cup qucik-cooking barley
- 1 cup coarsely chopped zucchini
- 1/4 cup minced shallots
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 can (14 to 14 1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium beef broth
- 3/4 cup chopped tomatoes
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Prepare Vegetable Barley “Risotto.”
Vegetable Barley Risotto: Heat large stockpot over medium heat until hot. Add 3/4 cup quick-cooking barley and cook, stirring until lightly toasted, about 5 minutes. Add 1 cup coarsely chopped zucchini, 1/4 cup minced shallots, 2 teaspoons olive oil, and 1 teaspoon minced garlic; cook about 3 minutes until zucchini is crisp tender. Stir in 3/4 cup reduced-sodium beef broth. Bring to a simmer. Cook 5 minutes until liquid is almost absorbed. Add remaining 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons broth; return to simmer and continue cooking 7 to 9 minutes or until barely is tender. Stir in tomatoes and pepper.
- Meanwhile cut beef Top Sirloin Steak crosswise into four equal “petite” steaks. Combine seasoning ingredients; press evenly into both sides of each steak. Heat large nonstick skillet over medium heat until hot. Place steaks in skillet; cook about 8 to 10 minutes for medium rare (145°F) to medium (160°F) doneness, turning occasionally. Remove steaks; keep warm.
- Add broth, vinegar and jelly to skillet; cook until browned bits attached to skillet are dissolved and sauce thickens slightly, about 3 to 5 minutes. Spoon sauce over steaks and serve with barley risotto.
Nutrition information per serving: 365 Calories; 7.9 Calories from fat; 7.9g Total Fat (2.3 g Saturated Fat; 0.2 g Trans Fat; 0.7 g Polyunsaturated Fat; 3.7 g Monounsaturated Fat;) 70 mg Cholesterol; 701 mg Sodium; 40 g Total Carbohydrate; 6.8 g Dietary Fiber; 31.8 g Protein; 3.2 mg Iron; 590 mg Potassium; 9.4 mg Niacin; 0.8 mg Vitamin B6; 1.5 mcg Vitamin B12; 5.9 mg Zinc; 45.1 mcg Selenium; 118 mg Choline.
This recipe is an excellent source of Dietary Fiber, Protein, Iron, Niacin, Vitamin B6, Vitamin B12, Zinc, Selenium, and Choline; and a good source of Potassium.