sunday supper sushi
Thinly sliced roast beef wrapped around sushi rice with slivered carrots and pea shoots in the center. The top of the sushi is garnished with grated radish. Dip in savory au jus.
- HAND VINEGAR
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup rice vinegar
- AU JUS
- 1 cup beef broth
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 garlic cloves, slightly smashed
- 8 thin slices roast beef, 8x3-inches each
- Garlic salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 cups prepared sushi rice
- 3/4 cup shredded carrots, very lightly blanched and cooled
- 3/4 cup pea shoots or watercress
- 3 radishes, very thinly sliced, for serving
- In a small bowl, stir together the hand vinegar and set aside until needed.
- First make the au jus. Put the beef broth, Worcestershire sauce and garlic cloves into a small saucepan, bring to a simmer and cook for 2 minutes. Let cool for 5 minutes and remove the garlic cloves. Just before serving, reheat the au jus.
- Lay a sushi mat on a clean surface and cover with plastic wrap. Lay a piece of roast beef on the mat. Sprinkle with garlic salt and pepper. Moisten hands with hand vinegar and shake off excess. Cover the beef with ½ cup sushi rice, leaving 1 inch empty at the end farthest from you.
- Arrange one quarter of the carrots and pea shoots along the center of the rice, crosswise, covering the half of the rice that is closest to you.
- Securing the carrots and pea shoots with your fingers, use your thumbs to push the end of the mat up and over the filling, until the one edge of the rice meets the other side. Press firmly on the roll to seal and shape.
- Lift up the top of the mat and roll firmly until tight and round. Squeeze gently to shape the roll. Press the ends in carefully to secure any loose rice. Remove the bamboo mat, peel off the plastic and set the roll aside.
- Repeat with the remaining ingredients to make 4 rolls. Slice each roll into 6 rounds, arrange on a sushi platter and serve with reheated au jus.