steak au poivre
Try this classic French recipe for dinner tonight. Peppered beef Strip Steaks are served with a Cognac and cream sauce.
- 2 beef Strip Steaks Boneless, 1 inch thick (about 1-1/4 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon coarse grind black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/3 cup unsalted beef broth
- 3 tablespoons Cognac or brandy
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Combine pepper and garlic salt; press evenly onto beef Strip Steaks.
- Heat large nonstick skillet over medium heat until hot. Place steaks in skillet; cook 12 to 15 minutes for medium rare (145°F) to medium (160°F) doneness, turning occasionally. Remove from skillet; keep warm.
Cook's Tip: To grill, place steaks on grid over medium, ash-covered coals. Grill, covered, 11 to 14 minutes (over medium heat on preheated gas grill, covered, 11 to 15 minutes) for medium rare (145°F) to medium (160°F) doneness, turning occasionally.
- Add broth to skillet; cook and stir 2 minutes until browned bits attached to skillet are dissolved. Add cognac; simmer 3 minutes. Stir in cream; increase heat to medium-high heat. Cook 10 minutes or until sauce is slightly thickened, stirring often. Serve over steaks.
Cook's Tip: If grilling, use large nonstick skillet over medium heat, following directions listed in step 3.
Nutrition information per serving: 260 Calories; 126 Calories from fat; 14g Total Fat (7 g Saturated Fat; 0.5 g Trans Fat; 0.7 g Polyunsaturated Fat; 4.9 g Monounsaturated Fat;) 95 mg Cholesterol; 310 mg Sodium; 2 g Total Carbohydrate; 0 g Dietary Fiber; 24 g Protein; 3 mg Iron; 349 mg Potassium; 9.3 mg NE Niacin; 0.6 mg Vitamin B6; 3.5 mcg Vitamin B12; 3.6 mg Zinc; 22 mcg Selenium; 62.2 mg Choline.
This recipe is an excellent source of Protein, Niacin, Vitamin B6, Vitamin B12, Zinc, and Selenium; and a good source of Iron, and Choline.