spicy steak & avocado bruschetta
- 1 pound beef Top Sirloin Steak, cut 1 inch thick (about 1 pound)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 ripe avocado, cut in half, pit removed
- 2 limes
- 1 to 2 teaspoons minced chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 8 slices ciabatta bread cut 1/2 inch thick
- Season beef steak with pepper. Place steak in center of grid over medium, ash-covered coals. Grill steak, covered, 11 to 15 minutes (over medium heat on preheated gas grill, covered 13 to 16 minutes) for medium rare (145°F) to medium (160°F) doneness, turning occasionally.
- Meanwhile, spoon avocado pulp into medium bowl. Add juice of 1 lime, chipotle pepper and salt. Mash until avocado mixture is well mixed; set aside. Cut the remaining lime into wedges; set aside.
- During last few minutes of grilling/ place bread slices on grid; grill until lightly browned on both sides. Remove steak from grill; let stand 3 to 5 minutes.
- Cut steak lengthwise in half, then crosswise into 1/4-inch thick slices. Spread bread with avocado mixture. Top with beef slices; sprinkle with additional salt, as desired. Cut bruschetta in half. Serve with lime wedges.
Test Kitchen Tips
Sprinkle bruschetta with chopped cilantro as desired.
Nutrition information per serving: 84 calories; 3 g fat (1 g saturated fat; 2 g monounsaturated fat); 18 mg cholesterol; 134 mg sodium; 6 g carbohydrate; 1.0 g fiber; 8 g protein; 2.1 mg niacin; 0.2 mg vitamin B6; 0.4 mcg vitamin B12; 0.8 mg iron; 7.7 mcg selenium; 1.3 mg zinc; 26.6 mg choline.
This recipe is a good source of protein, niacin, vitamin B6 and selenium.