spicy drowned beef sandwiches
Deli Roast Beef is sandwiched between whole wheat slider buns, drowned in salsa verde, and served with onions and jalapeño. Pair this recipe with its spicy dipping sauce. Perfect for game day.
- 12 ounces thinly sliced low-sodium deli Roast Beef, cut into 1/2" strips
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 cup thinly sliced onion
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced jalapeño pepper (about 1 jalapeño pepper)
- 3/4 cup salsa verde, divided
- 1/2 cup no-salt added tomato sauce
- 1 to 2 teaspoons chopped chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 8 whole wheat slider buns
- Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium heat until hot. Add onion and jalapeño pepper; cook 5 to 7 minutes until tender, stirring occasionally. Add roast beef; cook 3 minutes, stirring frequently. Stir in 1/2 cup salsa verde; cook 2 minutes or until heated through, stirring frequently.
- Meanwhile, to prepare dipping sauce, combine tomato sauce, remaining 1/4 cup salsa verde, chipotle pepper and lime juice in small sauce pan. Heat over low 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Keep warm.
- Divide beef mixture evenly among slider buns. Close sandwiches. Using panini press or double griddle on medium-high heat, grill sandwiches in batches 5 to 7 minutes until toasted on both sides. Serve sandwiches with warm dipping sauce.
Nutrition information per serving: 408 calories; 12 g fat (3 g saturated fat; 4 g monounsaturated fat); 46 mg cholesterol; 684 mg sodium; 43 g carbohydrate; 3.4 g fiber; 32 g protein; 3.4 mg niacin; 0.4 mg vitamin B6; 1.7 mcg vitamin B12; 4.4 mg iron; 12.5 mcg selenium; 2.7 mg zinc; 37.3 mg choline.
This recipe is an excellent source of protein, vitamin B6, vitamin B12 and iron; and a good source of fiber, niacin, selenium and zinc.