spicy cheeseburger sliders
Lean Ground Beef sliders are spiced up with chipotle chili powder and topped with pepper jack cheese slices.
- 1 pound ground beef (95% lean)
- 9 small whole wheat hambruger buns, split, divided
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground chipotle chili powder
- 2 slices pepper Jack cheese, cut in quarters
- Tear one hamburger bun into pieces. Place in food processor or blender container. Cover; pulse on and off, to form fine crumbs.
- Combine bread crumbs, beef, garlic and chili powder in medium bowl, mixing lightly but thoroughly. Lightly shape into eight 1/2-inch thick mini patties.
- Place patties on grill over medium, ash-covered coals. Grill, covered, 8 to 9 minutes (over medium heat on preheated gas grill, 9 to 10 minutes) until instant-read thermometer inserted horizontally into center registers 160°F, turning occasionally. Evenly top with cheese during last minute of grilling.
Cook's Tip: Cooking times are for fresh or thoroughly thawed ground beef. Color is not a reliable indicator of ground beef doneness.
Cook's Tip: One-half teaspoon chili powder may be substituted for chipotle chili powder.
- Place burgers on bottoms of remaining eight buns. Top with desired Toppings. Close sandwiches.
Nutrition information per serving: 201 calories; 6 g fat (3 g saturated fat; 0 g monounsaturated fat); 40 mg cholesterol; 266 mg sodium; 21 g carbohydrate; 3.1 g fiber; 16 g protein; 4.1 mg niacin; 0.2 mg vitamin B6; 1.1 mcg vitamin B12; 2.3 mg iron; 28.8 mcg selenium; 3.4 mg zinc; 50.8 mg choline.
This recipe is an excellent source of protein, niacin, selenium and zinc; and a good source of fiber, vitamin B6, vitamin B12 and iron.