southwestern shepherds pie
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 1/2 pound Yukon gold potatores, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can (14 oz) black beans, ddrained and rinsed
- 1 can (14 1/2 oz) diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 1/2 cup corn kernels (thawed if frozen)
- 1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Place potatoes in a large saucepan and add enough water to cover. Cover pan and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat and simmer until potatoes are just tender, about 15 minutes. Drain, return to the pot and add milk, butter, cilantro, 1/2 tsp. salt, and 1/2 tsp. pepper. Mash until smooth. Set aside.
3. In a large nonstick skillet over medium heat, saute beef, onion and garlic 8 to 10 minutes, or until beef is no longer pink and onions are tender. Add beans, tomatoes and remaining salt and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 5 to 7 minutes to blend flavors.
4. In ovenproof 11x7-inch baking dish, spread meat mixture. Spread corn evenly over meat; repeat with mashed potatoes. Sprinkle with cheese.
5. Bake in preheated oven 20 minutes or until top is golden.
Cooks Tip: Yukon gold potatoes add extra flavor, but the butter and cilantro will enhance even instant mashed potatoes.
Nutrition Info per serving: 358 calories; 13 g fat (7 g saturated fat; 4 g monounsaturated fat); 68 mg cholesterol; 948 mg sodium; 38 g carbohydrate; 5 g fiber; 24 g protein; 0.6 mg vitamin B6; 1.7 mcg vitamin B12; 34.7 mg iron; 5.1 mg zinc.