southern skirt steak benedict
This beefy southern version of the classic Egg Benedict with Choron sauce is an elegant twist on the classic.
- 1 beef Inside Skirt Steak (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 8 eggs
- 3 tablespoons harissa paste
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 4 tablespoons cold butter, cut into 1/4 inch cubes
- 3 1/2 tablespoons chopped beef jerky
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives
- 1 cup buttermilk
- CHORON SAUCE
- 1 cup prepared Bernaise sauce
- 3 teaspoons ketchup
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- Combine Marinade ingredients in small bowl; mix well. Place Marinade and beef Inside Skirt Steak in food-safe plastic bag; turn steak to coat. Close bag securely and marinate in refrigerator 2 hours to overnight.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Combine flour, baking powder, sugar, salt and baking soda in medium bowl; whisk to blend. Cut in butter until mixture resembles course crumbs; stir in jerky and chives. Slowly add buttermilk, mixing until dough comes together. You may not need all the buttermilk. Place dough on lightly-floured surface; shape into an 8 x 6-inch rectangle. Using a knife, cut dough into 8 equal biscuits. Place on parchment-lined shallow-rimmed baking sheet. Bake 20 to 24 minutes or until golden brown; rotating after 12 minutes. Remove from oven; keep warm.
- Meanwhile, remove steak from marinade; discard marinade. Heat large nonstick skillet on medium heat until hot; coat with cooking spray. Place steak in skillet; cook 16 to 18 minutes for medium rare (145°F) to medium (160°F) doneness, turning once. Season beef with salt and pepper, as desired.
Cook's Tip: You may need to cut steak in half to fit in skillet.
- To make Choron Sauce, add Béarnaise sauce, ketchup and hot sauce to small sauce pan; heat on low heat. Cook 5 minutes or until warm, mixing often. Season with salt and pepper, as needed.
- Carve steak diagonally across the grain into 1/4-inch slices. Open biscuits; top with steak, egg and Choron Sauce. Serve with mixed greens, as desired.
Nutrition information per serving: 587 Calories; 38.5g Total Fat; 19.2g Saturated Fat; 3g Polyunsaturated Fat; 12.9g Monounsaturated Fat; 0.7g Trans Fat; 393mg Cholesterol; 750mg Sodium; 373mg Potassium; 29g Total carbohydrate; 31g Protein; 4.3mg Iron; 6mg Niacin; 0.5mg Vitamin B6; 255.1mg Choline; 2.6mcg Vitamin B12; 6.4mg Zinc; 52.9mcg Selenium; 0.9g Fiber.