southern italian beef steak & pasta for two
- 2 beef Tenderloin or Eye of Round Steaks, cut 1 inch thick (about 8 ounces)
- 3/4 cup uncooked penne pasta, cooked
- 2 tablespoons grated Romano cheese
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3/4 pound fresh plum tomatoes, seeded,chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon grated Romano cheese
- Heat oil in medium saucepan over medium heat until hot. Add onion and garlic; cook and stir 4 minutes. Stir in tomatoes, sugar, salt, nutmeg and pepper; cook and stir 5 minutes. Stir in basil and 1 tablespoon cheese. Cover; remove from heat.
- Heat large nonstick skillet over medium heat until hot. Place steaks in skillet; cook tenderloin steaks 10 to 13 minutes (eye round steaks about 11 to 13 minutes), turning occasionally. Season with salt and pepper.
- Spoon tomato sauce over pasta; sprinkle with 2 tablespoons cheese. Serve with steaks.
Nutrition information per serving: 341 calories; 29 g protein; 18 g carbohydrate; 17 g fat; 285 mg sodium; 75 mg cholesterol; 5.0 mg niacin; 0.6 mg vitamin B6; 2.2 mcg vitamin B12; 4.3 mg iron; 5.0 mg zinc.
This recipe is an excellent source of protein, niacin, vitamin B6, vitamin B12, iron and zinc.