smoky mole sauce
- 1 dried ancho chile pepper
- 1 dried guajillo chile pepper
- 1 dried cascabel chile pepper
- 1 dried chilhuacle negro chile pepper
- 1 dried pasilla chile pepper
- 1 dried red Anaheim chile pepper
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 cups Roasted Beef Stock (recipe follows)
- 2 tablespoons raw pumpkin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 2 wedges Mexican hot chocolate drink tables, finely chopped (about 1.6 ounces)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse grind black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Remove stems and seeds from all chile peppers. Place peppers on shallow-rimmed baking sheet; toast in 350°F oven 3 minutes. Remove from oven; set aside to cool.
- Heat oil in medium saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic; cook 3 to 4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add chiles, beef stock, pumpkin seeds and paprika; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low; stir in chocolate until chocolate is melted. Cover and simmer 25 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat; cool 10 minutes.
- Place chile mixture into blender container; add salt and black pepper. Cover; pulse on and off until smooth. Strain sauce through fine mesh strainer.
Test Kitchen Tips
Roasted Beef Stock
Preheat oven to 475°F. Place 6 to 8 pounds beef Bones, 2 cups diced yellow onions, 1 cup sliced carrots and 1/2 cup sliced celery in roasting pan. Roast in 475°F oven 45 minutes or until browned, turning once. Spread 2 tablespoons tomato paste over bones; roast 15 minutes. Remove from oven; drain fat.
Place bones and vegetables in large stock pot. Scrape bottom of roasting pan to loosen any brown bits; add to stock pot. Add 1 gallon water; bring to boil. Add 10 black peppercorns, 3 to 4 sprigs fresh parsley, 2 cloves garlic, 2 sprigs fresh thyme and 2 bay leaves to stock pot. Simmer stock 8 to 10 hours, occasionally skimming off impurities.
Remove stock pot from heat; cool 15 minutes. Strain stock through cheesecloth-lined colander into large bowl.
Nutrition information per serving, 16 servings: 35.9 calories; 1.6 g fat (0.4 g saturated fat; 0.6 g monounsaturated fat); 0 mg cholesterol; 241.4 mg sodium; 5.8 g carbohydrate; 1.2 g fiber; 1.9 g protein; 0.6 mg niacin; 0.1 mg vitamin B6; 0.0 mcg vitamin B12; 0.5 mg iron; 0.7 mcg selenium; 0.2 mg zinc; 3.9 mg choline.