smoked beef brisket and corn chowder
Topped with Smoked Beef Brisket, this corn chowder is hearty and flavorful.
- 1 pound prepared or leftover smoked and shredded beef Brisket
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 leek, halved, thinly-sliced
- 1 1/2 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes, diced into 1/2 to 3/4-inch cubes
- 5 cups low-sodium beef stok
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2 cups frozen sweet corn kernels
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- cotija cheese, cilantro, lime hot sauce, avocado (optional)
- Heat oil in a 6 quart stock pot on medium-low heat, add leek. Cook 4 to 6 minutes, stirring occasionally until softened. Add potato and stock; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, simmer covered 20 minutes, or until potato is tender. Remove from heat.
- Process 2 cups potato mixture in blender until smooth. Roughly mash remaining potato mixture for chunky consistency and combine with blended mixture in same pot. Add corn, cream, paprika and beef. Season with salt and pepper, as desired. Cook for 5 to 10 minutes or until heated through. Garnish as desired.
Cook's Tip: To smoke beef brisket, add wood chunks, chips or pellets to smoker according to manufacturer's instructions. Preheat smoker to 225°F. Rub beef with mixture of salt, pepper, dried minced garlic and paprika. Add beef to smoker. Cook for 11 to 12 hours until beef reaches 205°F. Remove from smoker and shred beef with two forks.
Nutrition information per serving, 1-1/2 cups: 402 Calories; 177.3 Calories from fat; 19.7g Total Fat (8.7 g Saturated Fat; 0.3 g Trans Fat; 1.1 g Polyunsaturated Fat; 7.9 g Monounsaturated Fat;) 68 mg Cholesterol; 198 mg Sodium; 39 g Total Carbohydrate; 4 g Dietary Fiber; 22 g Protein; 0 mg Calcium; 3.7 mg Iron; 712 mg Potassium; 0.4 mg Riboflavin; 4.4 mg Niacin; 0.4 mg Vitamin B6; 1.2 mcg Vitamin B12; 233 mg Phosphorus; 3.7 mg Zinc; 15 mcg Selenium; 64.2 mg Choline.
This recipe is an excellent source of Protein, Iron, Potassium, Riboflavin, Niacin, Vitamin B6, Vitamin B12, Phosphorus, Zinc, and Selenium; and a good source of Dietary Fiber, and Choline.