six-chile beef flank steak with southwest tomato cream and roasted vegetables
Beef Flank Steak is marinated in a peppery six-chile blend of spices, grilled and served with roasted vegetables and a tomato-cream sauce. This recipe is great for entertaining.
- 1 beef Flank Steak (1 1/2 pounds)
- SIX-CHILE SPICE MIX
- 2 tablespoons six-chile pepper mix
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 1/2 teaspoons granulated garlic
- 1 1/2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 teaspoon hickory-smoked salt
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- ROASTED VEGETABLES
- 1 pound new potatoes, halved
- 8 ounces cremini mushrooms, halved
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 pound fresh asparagus, trimmed, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 bell peppers, diced, one green, one yellow
- SOUTHWEST TOMATO CREAM
- 1/4 cup diced yellow onion
- 1/2 cup beer
- 1/4 cup mild tomatillo salsa
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Six-Chile Spice Mix
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat dairy sour cream
- Reduced-fat dairy sour cream, fresh lemon juice (optional)
- Mix ingredients for Six-Chile Spice Mix in small bowl. Add beef Flank Steak, 2 tablespoons Six Chile Spice Mix and red wine vinegar to food-safe plastic bag; turn to coat. Close bag securely and marinate 6 hours to overnight. Set aside remaining Spice Mix.
Cook's Tip: You may add more Six-Chile Spice Mix to marinade for a spicier flavor, reserving at least 1-1/2 tablespoon for Southwest Tomato Cream.
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Place potatoes, mushrooms and 1 tablespoon oil in medium bowl; toss to combine. Place potato mixture on shallow-rimmed baking sheet. In same bowl, add asparagus and peppers and remaining 1 tablespoon oil; toss to combine. Place asparagus mixture on separate shallow-rimmed baking sheet. Season both baking sheets with salt and pepper, as desired. Roast in 450°F oven 30 to 35 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare Southwest Tomato Cream. Heat medium nonstick skillet over medium heat until hot. Add onion; cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add beer, salsa, tomato paste and 1-1/2 tablespoons Six-Chile Spice Mix. Bring to a boil and simmer 15 minutes. Remove from heat. Gently whisk in sour cream. Keep warm.
Cook's Tip: You may add more Six-Chile Spice Mix to Southwest Tomato Cream for spicier flavor.
- Remove steak from marinade; discard marinade. Place steak on grid over medium, ash-covered coals. Grill, covered, 16 to 20 minutes for medium rare (145°F), turning occasionally. Carve steak into thin slices; serve with Roasted Vegetables and Tomato Cream.
Nutrition information per serving: 609 Calories; 22 Calories from fat; 22g Total Fat (6.5 g Saturated Fat; 0.2 g Trans Fat; 2.7 g Polyunsaturated Fat; 10.1 g Monounsaturated Fat;) 112 mg Cholesterol; 2081 mg Sodium; 53 g Total Carbohydrate; 14.5 g Dietary Fiber; 51 g Protein; 10.9 mg Iron; 2025 mg Potassium; 16.9 mg Niacin; 1.8 mg Vitamin B6; 2.4 mcg Vitamin B12; 8.9 mg Zinc; 55.7 mcg Selenium; 208.3 mg Choline.
This recipe is an excellent source of Dietary Fiber, Protein, Iron, Potassium, Niacin, Vitamin B6, Vitamin B12, Zinc, Selenium, and Choline.