simple beef & potato skillet
Yummy recipe from the 2013 National Beef Cookoff winning recipes in the Real-Worldly, Real Simple Beef and Potato Recipes category.
- 1 boneless beef top sirloin stea, cut 1 inch thick (about 1 pound)
- 6 olive oil, divided
- 3 cups cubed yellow potatoes (1/2- inch pieces)
- 16 ounce container refrigerated salsa
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 cup frozen whole kernel corn, thawed
- 1 fresh Californian Avocado, peeled, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup light (50% less fat) sour cream
- 1/2 cup fresh chopped cilantro
1. Cut beef steak lengthwise in half, then crosswise into 1/4-inch thick strips.
2. Heat 1 teaspoon oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Add half of beef; stir-fry 1 to 2 minutes or until outside surface of beef is no longer pink. Remove from skillet. Repeat with 1 teaspoon oil and remaining beef. Remove from skillet; keep warm.
3. Heat remaining 4 teaspoons oil in same skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Add potatoes. Cook 7 to 8 minutes or until browned and crisp-tender, stirring occasionally. Carefully stir in salsa, red pepper and garlic salt. Reduce heat to medium-low. Cook, covered, 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Return beef to skillet. Add corn; cook 2 minutes. Remove from heat.
4. Stir in avocado. Serve with sour cream and cilantro.
Nutrition information per serving: 388 calories; 17 g fat (5 g saturated fat; 5 g monounsaturated fat); 78 mg cholesterol; 778 mg sodium; 29 g carbohydrate; 6.0 g fiber; 31 g protein; 10.4 mg niacin; 1.1 mg vitamin B6; 1.5 mcg vitamin B12; 3.1 mg iron; 32.2 mcg selenium; 5.7 mg zinc; 134.1 mg choline.
This recipe is an excellent source of fiber, protein, niacin, vitamin B6, vitamin B12, selenium, zinc and choline; and a good source of iron.