savory beef beignets
Complete any of our classic Cajun and Creole recipes with this tasty beef beignet!
- 1/4 cup lukewarm water
- 1 package (0.25 ounce) quick-acting dry yeast (about 2-1/4 teaspoons)
- 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons Creole Seasoning, divided
- 1 cup diced beef stick (1/4-inch pieces)
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 3 1/2 cups all -purpose flour plus more for dusting
- 1 1/4 cup 2% milk
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1 recipe Louisiana Caramel Sauce
- Combine water and yeast into small mixing bowl; whisk until frothy. Set aside.
- Mix beef stick and egg in small bowl; set aside. Add flour and 1 tablespoon Cajun Seasoning to large mixing bowl; whisk to combine. Create well in center of flour. Add egg mixture, milk, butter, yeast mixture and salt; mix well until liquids are absorbed and dough is formed. Dough may be sticky. If dough is dry, add more milk to soften. Knead dough 2 minutes until surface feels smooth. Wrap dough in plastic wrap; refrigerate 30 to 60 minutes.
Cook's Tip: Dough may also be prepared the night before and refrigerated.
- Blend remaining 2 teaspoons Creole Seasoning and sugar in small bowl; set aside.
On lightly floured surface, roll dough into 18 x 12-inch rectangle, 1/4-inch thick. Using floured knife, cut dough into 24 diamonds or squares. Let dough sit 30 minutes, covered. Heat countertop fryer with oil to 360°F per manufacturers instructions. Fry beignets 5 minutes until golden brown on both sides, turning once. Fry in batches, not overcrowding the oil.
- Sift Cajun Seasoning mixture over both sides of beignets immediately after being removed from the oil. Serve immediately with Louisiana Caramel Sauce, as desired.
Nutrition information per serving: 335 Calories; 10.6 Calories from fat; 10.6g Total Fat (5.6 g Saturated Fat; 0.3 g Trans Fat; 0.7 g Polyunsaturated Fat; 3.5 g Monounsaturated Fat;) 47 mg Cholesterol; 933 mg Sodium; 47 g Total Carbohydrate; 1.9 g Dietary Fiber; 12 g Protein; 3.3 mg Iron; 202 mg Potassium; 3.8 mg Niacin; 0.1 mg Vitamin B6; 0.4 mcg Vitamin B12; 1.6 mg Zinc; 22.7 mcg Selenium; 44 mg Choline.
This recipe is an excellent source of Protein, Iron, Niacin, and Selenium; and a good source of Zinc.